What is there a market for?

What is there a market for?

Postby Tagged » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:14 pm

Hi

I am wanting to move from just keeping snakes to start breeding now.

I am looking to breed something non venomous.

I have already got a tiger retic female (still loking for a male) so thats my first option but looking to breed something else as well (smaller)

I was thinking King snakes, but is there still a market for them or have they just been over bred?

Also if anyone has some suggestions on a non venomous sort after snake that does not grow big it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tagged
SA Reptiles Member

Re: What is there a market for?

Postby Tagged » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:28 pm

Sorry wrong section.

Its supose to be under Exotic fangless.
Tagged
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scotty121 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:20 pm

I know Chantel breeds a lot of Corns and Kings, so I would imagine they are over bred. A lot of people breed them and I imagine they have a trouble selling them.
If at first you don't succeed it won't hurt to smoke some weed, Dr Dre.
scotty121
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dobby7 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:23 pm

I see corns on Gumtree going for as little as R90 so its not the best idea. Perhaps look into rat snakes but not grey rat snakes or anything like that. Try taiwanese rat snakes or something like that.
If you cant beat them, join them. If you cant join them, shoot them.
1.1.0 Red tail boas
1.4.2 Corn Snakes
0.0.2 Heralds
1.1.0 Brown House snakes
1.1.0 Copperheads
0.0.2 Leopard geckos
dobby7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:11 am

When you start keeping snakes because of their commercial value then its a slippery slope downhill. Keep snakes for the enjoyment.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby LAMB Pythons » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:00 pm

Bushviper wrote:When you start keeping snakes because of their commercial value then its a slippery slope downhill. Keep snakes for the enjoyment.

I agree 100% with BV.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/LAMB-Pythons/160412530658527 (Feel free to join my FB page)
Neels Van der Merwe, and these are my snakes I keep.
11.13.0 Python Regius (Ball/Royal Pythons)
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Western Hognose)
0.1.0 Pantherophis guttatus (Corn snake)
LAMB Pythons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:57 pm

Ridley's or Rhino Ratsnakes? They aren't as small as Kings, but they're a lot smaller than Retics. Although I've heard Ridley's Ratsnakes can be a bit temperamental.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dobby7 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:07 pm

Well I really enjoy my snakes and I value them far more than what I can get in cash for them but there is nothing wrong with making some money buy selling off the hatchlings of your snakes. I could never keep every hatchling I hatch so some must get sold in order to keep my collectioon at a reasonable size. I understand what you are saying and I agree with you. To me, keeping snakes in general is enjoyable so focusing on species that have value will still bring as much joy to my life and a little bit of money to expand or upgrade won't hurt.
If you cant beat them, join them. If you cant join them, shoot them.
1.1.0 Red tail boas
1.4.2 Corn Snakes
0.0.2 Heralds
1.1.0 Brown House snakes
1.1.0 Copperheads
0.0.2 Leopard geckos
dobby7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:03 am

Keep snakes that you enjoy keeping and if they breed they will sell if sold at the right price. Rare snakes are often more expensive because they are difficult to breed. Others are expensive because that morph is not common WHEN YOU BUY THEM. If you paid 80K for the first two piebald ball pythons it would be madness to think you are going to make even half that much today. Piebald ball pythons will still sell in a heartbeat but at R20K a pair.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Tagged » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:35 am

I have been keeping snakes for +- 10 years and have never bred before and never tried to buy and sell for a profit (most of the time selling at a loss) so I have always kept for enjoyment!

This post was just to see what there is a market for. As though I keep snakes for enjoyment and don't see a problem with breeding to make some extra money or to grow my collection, but on the other hand I don't want to breed a snake that has been over bred and I sit with 20 + hatchlings etc and I can't sell them or have to sell them for R90.

Unfortunately I am not a millionaire and have expensive taste in snakes so I thought it would be a great way to help save up for some expensive species I want and at the same time get some experiance.

And I honestly don't know anyone that has not sold snakes at a profit or bred to sell the babies etc.

Thanks for the replys and anymore helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Rat snakes are a maybe as well as Hognoses(I know not non venomous).

Thanks
Tagged
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:04 pm

There are two ways of looking at this situation.

Firstly, Corns and Kings are bred PROLIFICALLY, but there'a always a market for them as they are starter snakes. I've never heard of guys giving Corns away or killing them, so certainly there are people buying them. They actually sell better than more expensive snakes because more people can afford them.

Secondly, you can breed something rare and expensive, like Woma Pythons, Black-headed Pythons, Rhino Ratsnakes and other rare snakes. They are bred more seldom, but the market is smaller coz they're not starter snakes and the babies are expensive to buy. So you might sit on any babies for a long period to get potential buyers.

So the conclusion is, cheap snakes have cheap babies, but you will move babies quick, whereas expensive snakes sell for more, but you might sit on babies quite long due to a limited market.

For your purpose the key is to find a species which fit between these two extremes; snakes which are common and easy enough to care for, to sell quick, but rare enough to command decent prices.

Something that comes to mind for me is Red-tailed Boa base morphs. They are easy to care for, they're a nice starter snake, and they have large litters.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Tagged » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:23 pm

Hey Westley

As always thanks for the informative reply !!

Redtails are def an option.

Thanks
Tagged
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)