Buying leapord gecko from respectable breeder

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Buying leapord gecko from respectable breeder

Postby matti » Mon May 13, 2013 8:57 pm

Hi guys, I'm new to this site, it is fantastic! I was wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction. 3 years ago I saved a leapord gecko from certain starvation. ( the poor thing looked like a snake, horrible!!) I have done a lot of internet research on how to care for it. Today it is a happy healthy gecko and it has a HUGE home.
I would like to get a friend for it, but here's the problem: I don't know the sex of my gecko and for fear of distressing it I handle it as little as possible. Also, I live in namaqualand and we are very far from anything. Where can I buy a healthy friend for my gecko, obviously someone who cares for these amazing animals and will help me get it savely to my house. Thanx!
matti
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Buying leapord gecko from respectable breeder

Postby wadekilian » Mon May 13, 2013 10:53 pm

I don't know of anyone in Namaqualand that can help you, but you can try having one shipped to you although it might be a problem if you live in the Namibian part of Namaqualand. I personally reccomend Arno Annandale Gecko Tails and Henry Kemp - Animaniacs. I've bought geckos from both of them and they've done excellently. PM me if you'd like their details.

As for sexing, I've attached a pic. Its pretty self-explanatory, but if you're still having doubts post a pic of its cloaca and we will be able to help you.

Image taken from http://www.geckodaddy.com
CaptureNux%202013-05-13%2022%2049%2012.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Tue May 14, 2013 8:23 am

Don't worry to much about distressing your gecko, I have 3 of them that I barely ever handled them as babies and only started handling them at around a year or so of age and they are perfectly fine when i pick them up. If it's hard for you to get them to sit still while you check just put them in a see-through container and check from the bottom. Oh and make sure they can't jump out.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gargoyle » Tue May 14, 2013 9:38 am

If you are still not sure on sex then Ide recommend getting a female. Females together are fine and so are male/female, males together can cause problems.
http://www.reptilepets.co.za/reptilegarden/rg_main.htm
Gargoyle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Animaniacs » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:10 am

Thanks for the reference Wade.
Much appreciated.
Animaniacs
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions