Battling to feed . plz advice

Battling to feed . plz advice

Postby Nightadderman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:51 am

I have 3 rhombic egg eaters.Last season all 3 were feeding on quale eggs. just before winter i battled to find any eggs so i took it to my friends reptile shop and he tube fed all 3. i let them go into natrual hibernation. they have come out of hibernation and 2 days ago i put 3 dove eggs. 3 finch eggs and 3 quale eggs and none of them are eating . should i be concerned or try again at a later stage. has there experience of tube feeding them once affected there eating habit. should i try tube them again or just let them eat when there ready to ????????
Nightadderman
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Battling to feed . plz advice

Postby vuduman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:03 am

Eggs are really high in protein and the perfect meal.I have heard cases of eggeaters feeding as little as 4 times in a year.And that is enough
for growth,shedding and breeding.So,I would not stress too much as yet.It is still pretty cold some nights.I am sure that they should start eating in time
as it heats up.Are they on any source of heat?This might be the factor why that not eating yet.
Tubing them should be the very last resort
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Battling to feed . plz advice

Postby it_bit_me » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:54 pm

Mine hasn't eaten since winter and I guess she should start at the same time we see finch nests again. The birds are still pairing up so you have some time to go.
The normal schedule for mine is 1 egg per month and she is a big snake.
Sit back and relax man ,these are still the low maintenance times
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Egg eaters (Dasypeltis sp.)