Red tail boa with dwarf gene questions

If it has a pelvis and spurs, you can post about it here.

View Gallery

Red tail boa with dwarf gene questions

Postby Nafcerion » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:03 am

Good Day all :smt006

My mate linked me on Facebook to a guys that wants to sell his red tail boa ( 1 year old) , he says that it has the Dwarf Gene in , and wont become longer than 2m.

i would really like to purchase this animal from him , but i would like to hear from you guys about the dwarf gene? is a real thing?

This will be my first Boa i am going to keep, i have a cage big enough for the snake for now, i will be building a custom one as soon as it gets larger.

the owner says he eats regularly, and is very active when handled, also would i need to get a permit for this snake , i'm in Centurion ?

some pics he sent me :

10676343_10205606653833008_8502782642196973166_n.jpg

another one

11026798_10205606654513025_5536570266525389048_n.jpg

last one :)

11081177_10205606655833058_286021534661520634_n.jpg

im looking for some advice, first boa ever :) and i figured if it really only gets 2m big, i will definitely be able to keep this pet :)

if there is anything i can as the owner to giver more information , please tell me :)

have a good day lads :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you can't easily explain it to a 5 year old, you don't know enough about the topic.

0.1.0 Red Tail Boa
0.1.0 Amel Corn
1.0.0 Pastel BP
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
1.0.0 Rainbow Boa
Nafcerion
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Red tail boa with dwarf gene questions

Postby Vinzy » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:14 am

To be honest - I've never heard of a dwarf redtail. Could be a cross? Not sure about that though.

If you're looking for a smaller boa - and a pretty one at that - Why not go for a Brazilian Rainbow Boa?
Vinzy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:27 am

You do find "dwarf" boas, but they are usually from different localities as far as I know.

It's not some hidden gene that can be accidentally discovered.

The dwarf localities usually look a bit different to a normal BCI, and to be honest, I do not see any of those traits in the snake above.

The legalities in RSA are currently being revised so I am not sure if you require a permit yet, but it does seem on the cards for the near future.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Nafcerion » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:48 am

Thanks guys for the insight ... even if this is a normal BOA, i still want :) .. absolutely love these animals ....

is there anything i should look for when i go pick up the snake? except for the usual like in corn snakes( moving allot, tongue movement, inquisitive , smooth scales, round body) ..

the snake apparently eats live , but i can't get any live mice in centurion, so would the snake be able to eat frozen just off the bat? or will it become a struggle?
If you can't easily explain it to a 5 year old, you don't know enough about the topic.

0.1.0 Red Tail Boa
0.1.0 Amel Corn
1.0.0 Pastel BP
1.0.0 Rainbow Boa
Nafcerion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:03 pm

I agree with Westley and will add.

I would not buy this snake, with the guy already trying to bullshit you (knowingly or not) about a special gene it is just dodgy. There are many of these snakes available and I would rather buy from someone honest and reputable. The expo is coming up in a few weeks and you can get something there or ask around and find other breeders.
Also with the snake only eating live, just rather get one already on frozen thawed.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby superboer » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:27 pm

Good day, I have a redtail boa that is turning 5 this year, she is 50cm, so I guess it has been crossed down the line and she is showing it, I have not tried breeding her though to prove out that, that is infact the story behind her. I still have trouble uploading pics though as I am working through my mobile.
Boas:
1.1 Redtail boas.

Pythons:
1.1 Burmese pythons (Normal/Albino)
0.1 Jungle carpet python.

Exotic colubrids:
1.1 Axanthic Sinoalan Milk snakes.
1.0 Californian king snake.

Indigenous colubrids:
1.0 Brickred House snake.
0.2 Normal brown house snakes.
1.0 Namibian Bugeyed house snake.

Venomous:
0.1 Southern Copperhead viper.
1.1 Saharan Horned vipers.

Tarantulas:
0.0.1 Venezuelan Suntiger.
0.0.1 Indian ornamental.
0.0.1 Togo Starburst.
0.0.1 Scarlet birdeater.
superboer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nafcerion » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:07 pm

hmmm i think after reading this , ill wait until the expo ,and get me a proper ball python mayb :) thamks all!

0.1.0 Red Tail Boa
0.1.0 Amel Corn
1.0.0 Pastel BP
1.0.0 Rainbow Boa
Nafcerion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Vrakkie » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:12 pm

Hi

Yes it is possible.
My one breeder friend in Philippines has successfully mated his Nicaraguan Dwarf with a Columbian Boa with babies due soon.
My female RTB will be next to cross with his dwarf.

The progenies should in general be smaller than your normal Boa

Hope this helps
Vrakkie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:44 am

We have dwarf boas. We have two strains. They orginate from Nicaragua and also Hog island boas. These are dwarfs which remain small and are easy to identify. Some of the Mexican boas also remain small. Many of the insular boas remain smaller than the Columbian boas but it is not a massive difference.

Try to get pure boas in future. When you can either see the parents or get a current photo of the parents then you know what you are buying. That specimen does not look to have nicaraguan or hog island blood in it.

Technically you require a permit for a boa in Gauteng however that was a printing error and should be rectified with the next government gazette publication regarding the Alien invasive act.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Nafcerion » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:54 pm

Bushviper wrote:We have dwarf boas. We have two strains. They orginate from Nicaragua and also Hog island boas. These are dwarfs which remain small and are easy to identify. Some of the Mexican boas also remain small. Many of the insular boas remain smaller than the Columbian boas but it is not a massive difference.

Try to get pure boas in future. When you can either see the parents or get a current photo of the parents then you know what you are buying. That specimen does not look to have nicaraguan or hog island blood in it.

Technically you require a permit for a boa in Gauteng however that was a printing error and should be rectified with the next government gazette publication regarding the Alien invasive act.

Thanks Bushviper for your insight( As always ) . ;-)

with the new publication, that would be taken away right?
they are not actually on the list?

By the way ...

i went to look at the specimen, and bought the snake, the guy kind of messed up the snake a bit, so i did a bit of "saving".
She was very bloated and he never pulled the dead skin from the tail , so she has a smaller pointy tail, very very very puppy dog tame. :smt007
i did take her to the vet, so they gave her antibiotics and helped me take off the dead skin on her tail.

so far , very very happy with her :)

she was fed live, but luckily for me she went to frozen/thawed with absolutely no issues :)
Cya's at the EXPO(Arno - guy with the liverpool shirt on) ;)

0.1.0 Red Tail Boa
0.1.0 Amel Corn
1.0.0 Pastel BP
1.0.0 Rainbow Boa
Nafcerion
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Pythons and Boas