Start up costs?

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Start up costs?

Postby Ryan95 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:32 am

Hi guys what are the start up costs for a basic set up for a Corn Snake or Brown House Snake? Thanks in advance.
Ryan95
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Start up costs?

Postby Superciliaris » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:28 am

Hi Ryan

Thanks for your question glad your wanting to get into loving and caring for a snake , it is the best hobby in the world ! For as little as a few hundred rands
you can build your own tank and lid including all the necessary heating equipment. Once every 2 weeks you will need to feed your snake at R5-R10 a mouse. So
I would answer R500 you would need to start.

Let us know if you need help !
Life is the greatest adventure imaginable.
Superciliaris
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:22 am

Hi there! welcome!
To fill out what Super said...
- A Corn snake will set you back about R100 - R500 depending on age and colour morph you choose
- You can build your own cage quite cheaply, but getting the glass track is sometimes a pain, and it is not cheap (R300 for 3meters and they dont cut down), but if you are not a amateur cabinet builder, buying a decent cage that will last your snake its lifetime will cost you R300 - R500
- Heating pad plus-minus R100
- Miscellaneous stuff, water bowel can be a cheap plastic container that wont tip over (I find a large dog bowel works well) R10 - R30, a thermometer to keep track of your cages temperature (little fishtank ones that have a suction cup will do, get 2 one for each end of the cage)R24 , news paper for bedding, old shoe boxes or cardboard pipes for hiding places (can usually be found in your own cupboards or on the side of the road for free!)
- Feeding! your snake must eat! babies must eat approx every 5 days, yearlings and older can eat once a week to every 10 days, that can cost you up to R10 per feeding depending on the availability of feeder mice in your area

To do it all properly, cover all your bases, and have a happy healthy snake, will realistically cost you about R800 in start up costs...
Trawl the reptile expos and this forum for cages for sale, they are usually cheaper than retail stores, if you want a quality snake talk to Chantel, also on this forum, she is a breeder and has awesome stock.
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ryan95 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:39 am

Thanks guys for the great feedback. It was very helpful.
Ryan95
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scalybunni » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:40 am

There is one thing to keep in mind though people think that snakes are easy pets and that they aren't costly at all, but they are.

You need to make sure their temps are right (thermostats aren't very cheap), make sure their enclosures are dry and clean and poop free on a daily basis, they need fresh water and food and they grow so you'll need a new enclosure in a couple of months. Since you're only looking at one snake, it'll be easy. Also, depending on the area you live in you'll need to pay admin fees for the required permits as well. :) I'm assuming that Superciliaris's estimate of 500 doesn't involve the price of the snake, but corn snakes and brown house snakes aren't always that expensive.
The kiss originated when the first male reptile licked the first female reptile, implying in a subtle, complimentary way that she was as succulent as the small reptile he had for dinner the night before.
scalybunni
SA Reptiles Member

Postby krah » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:19 pm

I agree with Scaly on the thermostat point, its a must! you can get away with cheaper housing by using tubs or space savers, but its not worth skimping on the electrical goodies.
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."
Winston Churchill.

Pastel BP 0.1.0
Firefly BP 1.0.0
Spider BP 1.0.0
Normal BP 0.1.0
Pied BP 1.1.0
Axanthic het pied BP 0.1.0
Banana BP 1.0.0
Albino Corn 0.1.0
Beardies 1.1.0
krah
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gekosin » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:11 pm

Doesn't R500 seems a little low then? Most thermostats go for about R400?
Proud Parent Of -

4.0.0 Corn Snake (Ghost Striped, Anery, Amber Stripe Corn)
0.3.0 Corn Snake (Normal, High Bloodred, Motley Gold Dust)
gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:07 am

Hi Ryan

I agree with the others, you can start up with relatively low cost; I would say R500 is about spot on if you go very basic.

HOWEVER, I would suggest you rather save/spend a bit more money and get a decent cage with a quality thermostat and quality heat source. The reason I say this is that this hobby is something else; you start with a BHS or Corn and in a couple of months you end up with a R10,000 Black-headed Python.

There is always a cooler, rarer, more expensive snake that you are going to want so why not wait a bit longer, save a bit more money and get a decent cage with accessories?
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Ryan95 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:27 am

Thanks for all the info. It has been most helpful.
Ryan95
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Saint » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:32 am

"but getting the glass track is sometimes a pain, and it is not cheap (R300 for 3meters and they dont cut down)". You can cut your own from wood, and then use a piece of straight wire in the groove as a runner. To get the wire straight, tie one end around a pole, and put the other in your electric drill. Stretch it tight before starting the drill. A few turns, and your wire will be perfectly straight.
Saint
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cornelius » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:35 am

Ryan

Where are you from? How old are you? tell us a bit more about yourself. Maybe some one can help you out. ;)
There is something that is much more scarce, something finer by far , something rarer than ability.
It is the Ability to recognise Ability

http://www.facebook.com/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804?v=photos#!/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804
Cornelius
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nicksmith_75 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:17 am

Hi Guys. Sorry to but in like this, but I'm in a similar boat wrt setting up. I have never owned a snake before and have been recommended a corn snake or house snake as a starter. Is there a minimum age I should go for? What is the size of tank I should get, particularly if I don't want to change tanks every few months. Any brands of heater pads, thermostats, etc that I should avoid and which ones are recommended? Where, in Cape Town, is a good place to buy such equipment and a healthy snake? Who arranges the permit, me or the seller?
Thanks,
Nick
Nicksmith_75
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:46 pm

Hi there! there is a LOT on this forum regarding the care of any and all snakes, go the care sheets section and explore, or just use the search tab and search the forum, you will find what you are looking for... as for permits, Im not sure. The regulations also change from province to province... if you get a housie then you DEFINITELY need permits, the onus will be on you to apply for a permit to keep, dunno about corns in your area...

I have corn snakes and swear by them, if you get yours from a reputable breeder (for example Chantel on this forum) even week old babies are vigorous and survive well in beginner hands (that is as long as you look after them properly...), if you are nervous get a yearling, still relatively small but not 'fragile' anymore.

Hope this helps :)
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Reptile Keeping