Cresty advice

Cresty advice

Postby Ceratogyrus » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:06 pm

So, I decided to try my hand at geckos. Been keeping spiders for ages and a bearded dragon for 5 or so years already.

I bought the cresty the weekend with the tank that it was raised in. Was told it is around 3 months old. Its around 10cm with tail.
The tank is a see through plastic container with a plastic lid with tons of ventilation in it.
I have been offering it some apple flavoured purity in a small bowl (Which I change daily) and a few crickets. From what I can tell it has eaten none of the purity and maybe 4 or so small crickets since Sunday.
I mist the tank lightly in the mornings and the evenings and the room drops to around 15 deg at night and goes up to about 23 degrees during the day.
I can see it breathing quite deeply and can see its "pulse" most of the time.
Any idea what I am doing wrong??? Any advice??? Would hate it if the little one had to die. :(
Thanks

Ruan
ruanlambrechts@gmail.com
Ceratogyrus
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Cresty advice

Postby Bjorn » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:03 pm

Those temps are a bit cool. I have mine in tubs too with a strip of heat cable under one side so they can get 30 deg if they want but can also get to room temps 16-18 night and 23 day. You can try real fruits mashed up but no citrus. Bananas, paw paw, peaches apricot etc. You can use baby foods and peach is the best that I have found. Adding calcium every other day. Lorikeet nectar is great as they have similar diets to the crested gecko. Don't leave crickets in if not eaten they can stress the gecko when it's trying to sleep etc.

I have found mine love roaches and crickets. You will not really notice when they eat the food.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MJ Fourie » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:35 am

Follow Bjorn's advice! If you see "poo" your gecko is eating!
"I can see it breathing quite deeply and can see its "pulse" most of the time." This is normal, they are cool like that.
Dont worry, he will not die.They are realy easy to keep, you will see, good choice.
Post a pic so we can see the little one.
MJ Fourie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby imperial exotix » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:55 pm

You can also try to hand feed the gecko crickets thats what we do in Northlands pets for the basiliks as we dont see the eating them and when I put a insect by it's mouth it takes right away or mybe its just trying for my fingers :D

Good luck mate!
imperial exotix
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ceratogyrus » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:03 am

Thanks everyone for the advise.
Also thanks to the person who contacted me via email. Its been a real help. :)
Ceratogyrus
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Geckos