Recommendations

Recommendations

Postby Twistedmps » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:33 am

Hey everyone

Im looking for a bit of advice im stuck between a tegu and a monitor.

Are there any monitors you guys would recommend, I am looking for something that i can handle daily, Docile nature.

I have had a fair amount of experience with lizzards i have had beardies, Basilisks, Water dragons and a green Iguana (which i didnt enjoy at all)

I am not to worried about size a can provide a large enclosure if necessary.

My main focus is Temperament, i would really like something that i can handle and spend alot of time with.

Thanks so much

:D :D
Twistedmps
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Recommendations

Postby Belphagor » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:51 am

I know how you feel man.

I have a Bosc Monitor at the moment.

I know they get quite tame.
But
He is a little bugger at the moment, He Hisses and whips his tail, hasnt tried to bite yet, But it is very frustrating not being able to go near him at all.

although It depends, because each monitor has a different temperament

Hope you come right.
1.0.0 BumbleBee Ball Python
1.0.0 Enchi Ball Python
1.0.0 Lemon Pastel Ball Python
0.4.0 Normal Ball Python
1.1.0 Grey Banded KingSnake
2.2.0 BCI X BCC
0.1.0 Anery Boa
1.0.0 Bosc's Monitor
Belphagor
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gartersnake » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:58 am

Well, I have had the same you had, from skinks to tegu's and so far my experience has brought me to believe you are either lucky or unlucky. But I currently have 2 Bosc monitors the male is my big boy at over a meter, and my female our little girl at around 45cm +-.

I had a black and white tegu, it was docile and chilled when I got it and then all of a sudden it just went crazy, have the scars to prove it.

Personally I would much rather go for the Bosc, if you can find a docile sub adult one.
gartersnake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kinghero » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:04 pm

lol I heard that if you want a pet that hates you get a bosc monitor. Never had one thou. Does handling a lot not help?
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gartersnake » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:12 pm

Sometimes Kinghero, I have 2 awesome bosc monitors, the male lives in a dog hut in the snake room, toilet trained to some extend he has a "litter box" if I can call it that but some times he misses it.
I had one sometime ago, that I just couldn't handle he dropped his guts, he bit and slapped at you he didn't like people at all.
gartersnake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:22 pm

It shouldn't be a problem if you rear it yourself.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kinghero » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:31 pm

wow gartersnake, So it depends from animal 2 animal?
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gartersnake » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:52 pm

It is just my experience o far, I had 2 bosc monitors from the age of 2 weeks, one tamed down completely and the other not at all.
Apparently, not sure how true this is, but males tames down easier than females.
I also have a tame berber skink had a tame eyed lizard, we sold him and to this day I am regretting it.

I'm not sure what, why or how, maybe the way smell, walk or taste. I really can't tell.
gartersnake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby imperial exotix » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:35 pm

Well I will recomend a tegu over all.It's not based on luck at all you just have to take the time and pain to get the lizard tame.You cant just handle it one day and leave it for a week you have to be constant.
This it a massive comitment and you have to know what you doing.You will see a bunch of people playing and holding there tegus and monitors because they take time and they love they animals.If you could not get a bearded dragon tame or you never like it I don't think you will come right with a 3 foot lizard that can take off a couple of fingers.
If you do decide to get a lizard you should go for a tegu they can get even more tame than a bosch to the point that they come up to you and would like you to rub it so they are very clever and need to be treated with alot of respect.Please don't make this complsive buy as it can end up bad for you and the lizard.
imperial exotix
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:57 pm

imperial exotix wrote:If you could not get a bearded dragon tame or you never like it I don't think you will come right with a 3 foot lizard that can take off a couple of fingers..

I agree, My recommendation would be a leopard gecko if you couldn't get a beardie tame. :D But lets be serious and say that the beardie was a fluke, I have a small bosc and I Love it. It hisses and and swings, but I just don't care. I still take him out, I keep my fingers clear and he calms down quickly in my hands. I hold him firm but not tight as the purpose is not to stress him but too tame him. If he doesn't settle down within 2 min I hold him against my chest and give him another 2 min. It has only happened once before that he didn't calm don on my chest so I put him back in his cage and waited 30min. I took him out again and he calmed down quickly. After he calms down I open my hand, sitting in the floor so if he decides to make a run he wont get hurt. I then scratch his sides and head. He is now even turning when I scratch him too get me to scratch where he wants it. This is after only 4 days. If he bites he bites, but its better he bites when he is 20cm instead of 1m.
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:41 pm

bubblesharp wrote: If he bites he bites, but its better he bites when he is 20cm instead of 1m.

100%
Just don't let him know it's working and he'll stop doing it.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Twistedmps » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:55 am

Thanks for all the replies

I had no problems taming beardies, Water dragons, only really had a problem with the Iguana

Ive decided to go with a Tegu found some for a pretty good price to
Twistedmps
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:18 am

Nice, Post some pics when you get it
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member