Bengal eggs in Bela-Bela

Bengal eggs in Bela-Bela

Postby Warren Klein » Fri May 25, 2012 4:17 pm

Good day all,

Just wanted to share some excitement with the varanid fans out there. On the 27 April 2012 my female Varanus bengalensis laid 4 eggs followed by another 6 eggs on the 28th. She was with a male before but I am not so confident that they did the deed, so at best I am hoping for a "virgin birth". The female continued to lay dud eggs over the next weeks with Two more on the 2nd of May, one on the 3rd and the last bad egg being passed on the 15th of May making a total of 14 eggs being laid over 20 days. I put the first 10 decent looking eggs in the incubator but have already thrown out all but the two biggest eggs which I am still holding thumbs for them hatch out little male clones of the mother. I have taken the female to visit Dr Eliot to make sure there are no more eggs left inside her and she is currently eating well and putting weight again. I will keep you posted if anything comes of the two remaining eggs.

The female Begal basking in the sun and looking "swell" on the 26th April, the day before laying

This was the sight I was greated by when I looked over the Bengal pit on the 27th. As you can see she was dropping white eggs all over her enclosure.

The female after laying the first 10 eggs

The 6 eggs laid on 28th April were laid in her cave at the entrance to her burrow.

These two big eggs are all that are currently left of her clutch.

Chances are nothing will come of this but I think it's worth recording any captive breeding information on this species.

Thanks for looking

Regards
HH
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Bengal eggs in Bela-Bela

Postby Sico » Fri May 25, 2012 5:02 pm

That is fantastic Warren, keep us posted!
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat May 26, 2012 11:09 am

I really hope the eggs hatch. Either way it will be a first for this species in SA.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Warren Klein » Wed May 30, 2012 8:50 am

Thanks guys, holding thumbs for clones.
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mrtsnakes » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:54 am

Did these hatch?
Brave ppl die young!
mrtsnakes
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Monitor lizards (Varanids)