Sexing Bosc

Sexing Bosc

Postby top dog » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:35 pm

Hey all is there anyone out there who has some pics of a large female bosc monitors lack of hemis cause all five of mine seem be males and i think i might just be looking without enough refferances to compare them to.
Thanks
top dog

Postby Bushviper » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:16 pm

Top dog. We tried sexing about 30 Boscs at the most recent expo and only found one that looked female.

It is possible to pop males but just because it does not pop does not mean it is a female.

I spoke to one of the top herpetologists in Germany and he told me that they had discovered a hemiclitoris in female monitors from Indonesia so that just throws more of a spanner in the works.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby top dog » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:54 pm

Thanks cause i was feeling like a real fool seeing as i seem to have five males but i will wait for six more months and hopefully be able to tell.
top dog

Postby Moreliahunter » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:39 pm

Something they do in Australia is to have the pelvic area Xrayed. They do this with even juvenile monitors and it works. You can see the hemipeneal grooves in males. Try it, it works!!!!
Moreliahunter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:26 am

Moreliahunter can you get an xray with the differences pointed out please.

I have heard this works with Heloderma species but they have some calcium deposits that show up.

I can never see anything on x-rays. Even cracked bones are missed by me. Possibly the vets here can compare the xrays till they get the hang of it.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Boscs monitors (Varanus exanthematicus)