My Retics slow growth

My Retics slow growth

Postby Don » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:34 am

My retic is now 9 months old and still rather small in relation to my last retic I had.
She is only about 1.6m long now, she started off growing at a rapid rate and now has slowed right down.
She is still eating 2 rats a week but wont take any more than that.

I seen the pix on here of guys retics at one year and they are huge in comparison.
She is in a tank of 1.6m x 60 x 60. Should I be getting her a bigger tank soon or is that size ok for a few more months?
Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealt you represents determinism; the way you play it is free will.
Don
SA Reptiles Member

Re: My Retics slow growth

Postby top dog » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:42 pm

If u really are after fast growth, go with smaller meal more often, but i would not surguest it.
slowly healthy growth always better in the long run.
I find my rectic actually grow slower in big cages and feeding is harder. they seem to like being in a smaller space. not to small where they can not thermoregulate properly but small so they feel same and secure
top dog

Postby Don » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:11 pm

Thanks man!

I dont want an unhealthy snake, just wanted to make sure that she is not growing too slow and unhappy in a smaller tank.
Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealt you represents determinism; the way you play it is free will.
Don
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:18 pm

Not all retics are the same. You could have one that comes from a different island and will never grow as big. I have group of 2 years olds that are possibly only 1.3 metres in length and another group at 2 years old the are possibly 1.6 metres. Then I have a 5 month old that is easily 1.2 metres.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Reticulated pythons (Python reticulatus)