Curious habit of feeding

Curious habit of feeding

Postby konmac » Wed May 15, 2013 1:24 am

My retic one year before stopped to eats frozen prey. Before he ate. I offer him live and he ate. No as older (a lot and often). I continued offering frozen prey and it denied, but a small live prey he ate . A time the (frozen) prey be hot enought and he ate immediately . He ate only when the rat are enough hot 40-45 degrees of Celsius. The prey in temperature 25-30 degrees C he does not recognize. When the same prey be hot in the 40 – 45 degrees Celcius eats immediately.
Now he does not recognize the live rat and don’t eat. But he eat the same time hot rat (40-45 C). Have you heard something like this again?
konmac
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Curious habit of feeding

Postby wors143 » Wed May 15, 2013 7:55 am

Good luck hope you get some feedback. not familiar with retics. however interesting to see responses on live and frozen thawed food items.
wors143
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chris w » Wed May 15, 2013 9:31 am

This is quit strange, never had any problems with any of my retics eating frozen or live prey, I normally put the frozen rats in hot water for about 20 minutes or more then let them cool, and the retics take them every time.
chris w
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Wed May 15, 2013 11:04 am

I take the prey items and put them in plastic bags before freezing. So when I take them out for defrosting I let them thaw properly. I then take them out and put them in a bucket filled with boiling water still in the plastic bag. This causes them to heat up without becoming soaking wet.
I feed them Piglets and Rats and they rarely refuse.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reticulated pythons (Python reticulatus)