Catching pythons

Re: Catching pythons

Postby Westley Price » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:03 am

Okay, Marcel recieved a warning for his post.

Let's move on now and keep to the topic please.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Silvrav » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:28 am

Could not fully agree more Wesley.

Back to the post, what lenght do you guys that pythong is? 5m's?
Carpet Python - Morelia spilota cheynei
Silvrav
SA Reptiles Member

Postby leonthemenace » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:49 am

Yea it looks like a good 5m snake. Can you imagine the teeth on a python like that clamped around your leg?
If you're not fast......you're food!!
leonthemenace
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Aphrodite lea » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:54 am

Snakemanjayd i agree with you on that if your hungry your hungry and that man was brave to do that. I think its sick to do that but i also think its sick to kill any animal and eat it but if thats the only thing out there what can you do ??
Aphrodite lea
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boskobra » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:59 am

If it was killed for food (have seen a few of these videos) why not kill it faster!
The way it is done I would say is a bit hectic but yes I think the scale can go both ways, the 1 side the cruelty (for us in this forum that love and respect these animals), the other side people starving!
This learns us something to be more aggresive in rehabilitating our reptile friends,
"Winners are losers who got up and gave it one more try. "

Eben Keet
Boskobra
SA Reptiles Member

Postby leonthemenace » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:41 am

It's true, they need to be educated etc.... But, if goverments and outside organisations dont step in to help and feed these needy people, it's unfortunately something that we wont be able to stop. Sad to say but this is what's happening in 3rd world country's.... I say find the root of the problem and start resolving it from there....
leonthemenace
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:50 am

Are you for real?

What difference is killing a snake to killing a Kudu ( for Biltong or what ever you people do).
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby leonthemenace » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:34 am

If there is food provided there would be no need to go to such extremes to get it. It's like the ivory trade, put a world wide ban on ivory, kill the market and the poaching on rhino's and elephant would drastically decrease. Just my 2c....
leonthemenace
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Silvrav » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:41 am

@fooble, the difference is that kudu's, cows, impala, etc. Is bred for that reason and therefore real wild kudus are safe ( keeping in mind I am talking about respectable hunters that wil go hunt on a hunting farm,not the wild).

These big beauties are not bred for such,and therefore it is a loss to the wild population of python's,and if it was for food I will not be cross at them. Different story if it was for something else.
Carpet Python - Morelia spilota cheynei
Silvrav
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ryuu » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:43 am

Fooble wrote:Are you for real?

What difference is killing a snake to killing a Kudu ( for Biltong or what ever you people do).

You People? ah Yes the proverbial blame shift.

Killing an animal for food is a natural thing. Its how you kill it that makes the difference We eat meat(well most of us) and to get that meat we kill of hundreds of animals but those animals are bread for that specific purpose they are not just taken out of the wild. It can also be argued that big Game farms and reserves will become some of the last natural environments for certain animals

its simple if you kill animals for food make sure you're not having a negative impact on the population in the wild. Same Goes for every resource out there, just taking without thinking of the consequences will cause immense problems
if they like eating snake, by all means but why kill and eat them to the point of extinction? at least the "you people" you're revering to have game farms and go to great lengths to ensure that they breed the animals(Not a blind act of killing)

Killing for trophy's and sport is just idiotic in my opinion.
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:49 am

Ryuu wrote:
Fooble wrote:Are you for real?

You People? ah Yes the proverbial blame shift.

In reference to the poster.

its simple if you kill animals for food make sure you're not having a negative impact on the population in the wild

Sure thing but i promise you that population isn't affect but for the individual that was bred and raised it's whole life to be killed
i'm pretty sure it mattered to that animal.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Ryuu » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:58 am

My Argument is not of the Killing. But the Impact it can have on the population of the species.

Here's a Simple example. If I had to choose between a death that is fast and effective or a drawn out ritualistic death I would choose the fast way.

My point is the killings not going to stop that easily but we can try and educate people and not let cause a negative impact on the environment
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Urucone » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:14 pm

If there is was valid reason behind killing something I can except it but if the death was in vain then it's horrible, also the way things get killed for example the snake was food, I can except that, but why cut open the mouth (Obviously it's to get it to release his leg) but surely after getting his foot out couldn't someone just cut the snakes head off and reduce the time of suffering?

Its one thing to shoot a kudu a clean head shot and it drops to the ground slitting the throat, and another to tie a kudu to a tree and hitting it everywhere (Legs, head, hind body) with a large knife until its dead.
as long as you keep quiet, no one will notice that your dumb
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Davidc » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:39 pm

A lot of the comments here is assuming that snakes get killed for food. Believe me this is not the case 90% of the time. My father is farming in Richmond KZN and the amount of rock Pythons, Puff adders and any other snakes that the rural farm workers kill makes you want to cry. And it has NOTHING to do with being hungry. I find it amazing that you can comment on barbaric behaviour as long as you dont lable the person??
Ball Pythons
1-9-0 Normal
1-0-0 Spider het AXA
1-0-0 Mojave het Orange Ghost
1-0-0 Cinnamon Vanilla
1-1-0 Yellow belly
0-1-0 Axhantic
1-3-0 Pastel
0-1-0 Fire
GTP's
1-1-0
Davidc
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:05 pm

I think that the way that poor python moved blindly around as though it still had a head was sickening...I would have much rather seen the snake in little pieces than that. What confuses me is, how did they know the snake was there? I mean what if it was a black mamba was in there too?...was this at all set up?
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to African pythons & boas