Autumn Attire

Autumn Attire

Postby Mehelya » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:07 am

Well, I've been looking at Autumn set in, and then Winter arrive recently... I got to thinking that snakes often have coloration to match their environment, and during autumn and winter, they tend to "disappear" until the following Spring rains... But, I've not often seen snakes roaming around in the autumn colors of nature, so I tried to take a few photos of some of the indigenous species that I keep, and try them out on some autumn colors as backgrounds. I have to say that the contrast achieved between some, and the blending, of the species and the background colors was absolutely amazing, and I am pleased with the results, even though one or two species decided to move the leaves around, so that the black background showed through, but these were just test shots, that I will share with you.

Enjoy some early Winter eye candy...

Male Puff Adder, Bitis arietans

Female Puff Adder, Bitis arietans

Rhombic Egg-Eater, Dasypeltis scabra

Rhombic Egg-Eater, Dasypeltis scabra

Rinkhals. Hemachatus haemachatus

Rinkhals. Hemachatus haemachatus

Brown House Snake, Boaedon capensis

Brown House Snakes (pair), Boaedon capensis

Thanks for looking. ;)
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Autumn Attire

Postby Jedi Biscuit » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:27 pm

Stunning pictures =) really awesome idea. Can't wait to see more :D
Jedi Biscuit
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:15 am

Thanks Jedi, Appreciated. Yeah, not easy to get these critters to sit still once they feel the leaves under them... Even harder to keep them above the leaves! I will see if I can maybe do one or two other indigenous species this weekend.
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:22 pm

Lovely photos. I like the clolours on your egg eater, quite different to what I'm used to.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby du Preez » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:09 pm

Really awesome photos, and stunning snakes (especially that first rinkhals!). Well done.
du Preez
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:11 am

Thanks Predator, first lot I've had that has that type of coloring on them as well. It is a pair, as far as I know, so maybe there'll be some babies available one of these days...

du Preez, Rinkhals are one of my top fave venomous, so I have a fair amount of them...

Well, I don't have too much variety as far as captive species is concerned... Mostly housies, rinks, puffs, and one or two other species... While cleaning, I just took some more shots in the same setting, to show variety within the species. Here they are...

Southern Brown Egg-Eater, Dasypeltis inornatus. Bit of nose rub, but coming along nicely.

Now, showing some variety within the species... The following three sets are all Brown House Snakes, Boaedon capensis, from the same location.

A lovely light pair with subtle differences

A nice little red specimen

A nicely patterned dark one

Thanks for all the comments all, as soon as the last few of my species decide to play along, I will take some shots of some unseen ones.

Enjoy!
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:21 pm

The contrast between the orange leaves and the darker snakes (especially the puffies) is really striking; makes for some nice pics.

The second puffy has some really interesting and unique patterns. See if you can maybe try and selectively breed that.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mehelya » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:41 am

Thanks Westley, walking outside in the late afternoon in the back yard, amongst the trees can give one some good inspiration for photographs... ;) Yeah, that little girl has already given me a whole bunch of little venomous watchsprings... I have selected one or two males to use on her from the offspring, and will see what happens in a few years time.
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:31 pm

So, I shot out for a bit of mid-winter herping, and came across this little chap. A juvenile Short-snouted Grass Snake, Psammophis brevirostrus. These chaps do not sit still, ever... And he kept on moving the leaves in the tub I was carrying with me for the shoot, and this was the best of about 20 shots, before I decided enough was enough, and let him go back into his winter hide.

Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Kwazulu Natal