Black call out

Postby snake-5 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:00 am

This is the setup i tried, works like a charm and snake sees the hole and darts for it the pipe is taken off and the door closed, safe and effective.
http://www.sareptiles.co.za/gallery/alb ... mb_sb1.JPG
MY RETICS ARE ADIMANT THAT PEOPLE TASTE LIKE CHICKEN.

Im Zenafobic... that zena chick from t.v scares the cr@# out of me.
snake-5
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JTS » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:35 am

Here you go ;)

How big is the box ? And will you spray the pipe black on the inside ???
Reptiles, tarantulas Indigenous spiders
JTS
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake-5 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:10 am

Seems to work well enough as it is, a black pipe may work better though. the box is about L50 B30 and H20 but i am really bad at estimates. I am going to be replacing the lid with perspec so people can see the snake after it has entered the box for show and tell and the pics.

snake-5
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:21 pm

That is so neat, the perspex is a good idea and you can always cover with a cloth until the snake gets inside. Gonna make one, unless you got the patent!!!
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:32 pm

Snake 5 make the door a swing door so that it does not get lost in the confusion. That way you can close the door from a distance too. If it swings up and stays there, once you pull the pipe out the door slams shut by itself. You can then just insert a pin to stop it swing open while driving or moving it.

Keep the door in the one corner so that you can position it against a wall and the pipe can lie next to the skirting. If the door is on the "wrong side" just stand the box on its edge.

If you want to make a flap that swivels inward inside the door, you can leave the box attached to an entrance hole and when the snake enters the flap falls down behind it. That stops the snake from getting out again. I have used this where the snake is known to be in a hole and has no other way to get out. The owner can just check it twice a day by peering through the perspex covered side and let you know when it is inside and awaiting collection.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby armata » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:19 pm

One thing - does the pipe need to be as long? I know you don't it coming back at you but maybe two thirds of the length; you can get black pvc piping no probs. I agrre the door idea as stated by BV is a good plan too.

Related, and may have said before. I catch small adders with ovesize tube with a bag on the end and just upend the tube - a mobile version of the above sort of. Would work OK with cobras also, just normal precautions when tying off bag.

My oh my we are so safety first on this forum, what a pleasure!!
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Rob » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:39 am

TP - We are safety nerds here on sareptiles. :)
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake-5 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:04 am

Always better to be a safety nerd than a fingerless hero...Copy the box i got it from a friend long ago so far as i know there are no patents on it of any sorts.

snake-5
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Kwazulu Natal