Creature Feature - Soutpansberg

Creature Feature - Soutpansberg

Postby rvanhuyssteen » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:57 pm

I have been busy setting up a project that is collecting biodiversity information in the Soutpansberg and also helping out with conservation in the area.

Our primary objective in these early stages of development is to begin with research on ecosystems – cataloguing the biodiversity of reptiles, birds, plants, arachnids and insects, and monitoring the larger mammals in the area such as leopards, brown hyeanas, aardvarks and antelope. Right now the reptile list generated from our project alone stands at 42.

Biodiversity research will be accomplished by actively searching for organisms and setting pit-fall and/or camera traps. All records and documentation will be uploaded to the South African National Biodiversity (SANBI) database, making them accessible to the general public and scientists alike. The SCBC will also engage with other conservationists within the area, sharing research and raising awareness of the project within a broader community.

I thought I'd share some pictures of some of the more 'colourful' reptiles encountered so far this season and a shovel-nosed frog, because they look so crazy.

Hemisus marmoratus One of my favourite amphibians.

Mochlus sundevallii sundevallii These lizards are often seen moving on the surface at dusk.

Homopholis wahlbergii These geckos are very common in the area.

Agama armata Another very common lizard species.

Agama armata

Varanus niloticus I see Water Monitors relatively often. Even high up in the mountain streams.

Varanus albigularis albigularis Considering the terrain, I am surprised I don't see more of these.

Afroedura (still working out the species, some confusion). There appears to be at least two different Afroedura species in the area.

Vhembelacerta rupicola I saw this species for the first time in November and they are really great to watch. They get used to an observer very quickly and it is great to follow them for a bit while they bask and forage.

Platysaurus relictus These lizards are very common in the area. These individuals with a lot of blue are my favourite.

Chondrodactylus turneri Another abundant gecko in the area.

Chirindia langi occidentalis The first time I saw an amphisbaen I was dumb struck and the animal escaped, that was in March. I found this individual in September. They are incredible animals. No eyes, soft skin which is plated, and ability to move backwards with perfect dexterity. The entire animal can reverse.

Atractaspis bibronii I have seen a few of these on in the area. Very interesting snakes. Their movement is so distinctive.

Aparallactus lunulatus lunulatus I have had good luck with this species.

Matabosaurus validus This individual was the biggest I have ever seen. Just under meter in length and chunky.

Trachylepis margaritifer Abundant lizards. Such a pleasure to watch.

More info on the The Soutpansberg Centre For Biodiversity and Conservation

The SCBC is an independent, not-for-profit research and conservation organization based in the Soutpansberg range to the west of Louis Trichard, Limpopo Province, South Africa and we are currently looking for volunteers to assist us with our project.

The SCBC is an experimental and independent space for the exchange of ideas, biodiversity research and the practice of conservation. Through approaching conservation from an inclusive rather than exclusive position, our goal is to become a model for eco-tourism and conservation in the area In terms of research, our aim is to collect information on biodiversity in the Soutpansberg and contribute this knowledge to a greater scientific community.

We are looking for individuals from all walks of life, specifically those that have a strong link to the natural world to volunteer and participate on the project.

Activities at the SCBC are project related and may also be oriented by volunteers’ research interests. A typical programme will see the majority of time spent in the field collecting biodiversity data. Additional time will be spent learning practical skills – from horticulture to sustainable building methods and fundraising. The SCBC is envisioned as an open-ended, responsive and collaborative organization. As a volunteer you will be an integral part this organic process – influencing the shape and future of the Centre through the provision of your time, energy, resources and other inputs.

For information see: http://soutpansbergcbc.blogspot.com

Thanks for looking.
rvanhuyssteen
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Creature Feature - Soutpansberg

Postby Ruan Stander » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:36 pm

Some very cool species, turneri is a favourite of mine and so are the velvet geckos.
There seem to be a lot of changes regarding the binomial names; many of those are new to me.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rvanhuyssteen » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:24 pm

Thanks.

There have been a lot of changes. I quite like many of the new names: "Vhembelacerta" for the Soutpansberg Rock Lizard really ties it down to a geographic area. And then my favourite: "Matabosaurus", recalls Matabo in Zimbabwe. Even though I have never been there myself I have looked at images and I can just imagine these massive lizard moving about on the great rocks.
rvanhuyssteen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:19 am

Awesome finds man.

There have been so many taxonomic changes lately that I really struggle to keep up.

Together with with the new genus Vhembelacerta, I noticed Ichnotropis squamulosa is now part of Meroles, there is a new species of Homopholis, H. arnoldi, all the new genera of plated lizards...It's just tough to keep up to date.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Ruan Stander » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:22 am

Jeez, I think an up to date field guide is certainly due.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Limpopo