Arboreal frog's viv construction journal

Arboreal frog's viv construction journal

Postby Buck Rogers » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:24 pm

I think one of the best things about being a herper is the opportunity to create some really awesome setups for your herps, obviously some keep rack systems or on newspaper but there is nothing better than an awesome display tank. I have been threatening for some time to construct a natural frog vivarium and almost a year down the line of research and thinking and discussing I thought the time is right to make something amazing.

I have started the process and my intention was to post the first set of pics today but alas our work internet is a bietjie gef** today, so I will be posting pics this evening when I get home hopefully that will be a tad faster.
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Arboreal frog's viv construction journal

Postby Wolf777 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:28 pm

Can't wait.I also like the idea of natural vivariums maybe I should try it sometime.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:31 pm

I know what you talking about man... You hit the nail square in the face there.

There is nothing better than a natural viv ( IMO )!

Nothing against racks + newspaper though, just pesonal preference...

I am also currently planning a MASSIVE viv and it definitely takes a lot of careful planning when you wanna go custom.

Measure twice, cut once...

Can't wait to see your pics !
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:57 pm

My aim of this thread is to make it as simple and duplicatable as possible that anyone can put an awesome viv together for the lowest possible costs, besides the actual tank I am estimating costs to be less than R300, bear in mind this will vary from species to species. For example I am setting this up for indigenous frogs, so I am using plants from my garden and from sourrounding areas, this will vary if you are setting up for exotics as you would be more specific where to get plants (ie from an organic nursery).

I'm just so pi**ed that I can't upload those photos now=(
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:13 pm

Ah, I see what you're getting at...

Great idea !

Now I want to see the pics even more !

To every one who wants to try what B.R.'s doing, remeber, you gotta get non toxic plants if you're going for natural.

Just do a search on natural / non toxic plants and you'll find lists and lists of all the species you can use.

Plastic plants obviously don't present this problem, but at least rinse off the plants before placing them.

C'mon Buck Rogers' internet phot uploading demon, get outta there !!!!!
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lachdanan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:56 pm

A cool idea i read about with regards to killing pests in/on natural plants and substrate is to give it a CO2 "bath" by placing dry ice inside the viv and adding water. CO2 (which is heavier than air) releases and starts filling the viv from the bottom upwards, suffocating everything - plants love it though!
Lachdanan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:48 pm

Not all 'pests' are bad, obviously mould spores are your enemy. Fungus & bugs are really good, as it forms part of the chain, they all help break down waste and add nutrition to the enviroment, don't be frightened of nature=)
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:18 pm

Yes if you create a little ecosystem it could work. It is extra work but rewarding. You could grow chamomile and this would inhibit the mould (it is used as an organic barrier for fungus on seedling plants).
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby Buck Rogers » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:54 pm

Now that is interesting! I have a couple tricks up my sleeve for this one that I'm ganna leave till the end of the construction =)
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:34 am

How bout those pics you bragged about ... ?
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:43 am

Ditto - ?

Very interesting tip Craig, I'll be doing a viv project soon too and I'll be sure to pick your brain when I start.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:47 pm

Okay server working

Here is the pic of the enclosure I chose to work with, I did not put the background there it came with the tank, I initially said I was ganna rip it off when I get home but sort of like it now and wanna keep it there for the time being

Next step was to separate land from water, all though this is not for aquatic frogs still wanted to have a sweet water feature... I racked my brain for a couple hours on what to use, I drove around fourways looking for a place to buy off cuts of perspex then I kicked myself and went home!!!! I had a Eureka moment and grabbed that plastic edgin that is used around gardens and wham it worked!!!

After thinking about it I could have used a Tupperware cut up and it probably would have looked a lot neater, but this is not going to make a difference once I'm completed plus once again very duplicateable to use this method! But now I am regretting not using the Tupperware as I am just filling leaks, you don't want leaks going through as it will rot the plants away! After I fill the leaks tonight I can start on the fun stuff :D :D

Here are the essential tools:

No herper should be left without this stuff, its magic!!! I use it to disinfect all my cages, water bowls etc, super safe and super strong... its just super thanks for asking!

Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:58 pm

Nice going, what species will be housed in it?
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:00 pm

Still deciding, I really wanted to set it up for Leptopelis natalensis (forrest tree frogs) but season is running late already, so leaning towards painted reed frogs, maybe about 5 of them.
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:29 pm

Looks very promising man...

Where'd you buy the super stuff ?
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Natural vivariums