how long hibernation by Lamprophis guttatus

how long hibernation by Lamprophis guttatus

Postby Vipernhunter » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:43 am

I have a group from L. guttatus near Durban locality.
Now I want breed this snake. Can anybody give me information how long I must hibernate this snake and what temperature they need for hibernation.
Have somebody pictures from fesh born lamprohis guttatus and other breeding information.
Thanks and best greeting from
Vipernhunter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vipernhunter
SA Reptiles Member

Re: how long hibernation by Lamprophis guttatus

Postby Bushviper » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:07 am

Durban is a sub tropical area and it does not get really cold there. However the areas where these snakes occur (rocky outcrops) do get fairly cool because the temperatures drop at night as there is no insulation between the cracks of rocks. The wind moving over any rocky outcrop does drop the temperatures. During the day the area will heat up but these snakes are nocturnal so they will not really bask. You can cool the nights down to 12 degrees and make the days 26 degrees for about 2 or three months and that should stimulate the breeding cycle.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Fooble » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:10 pm

Nice looking animals look like they are Kloof Specimens.

As Bushviper said it does not get all that cold even during winter for prolonged periods.

Good Luck on getting them to breed successfully.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Vipernhunter » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:58 pm

Yes, they are Kloof guttatus. Friend were give me this tell me they come about 20 Kilometers from Durban.

Oh thanks , at moment I have 15 degree on day and 12 degree in night. I hope this is not to cold. I hope I can breed this- They are very nice snake.
All house snake fans a good start in a happy new year.

Greeting from Viperhunter
Vipernhunter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby taiwanbeauty » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:04 pm

Thats a bit cold, listen to BushViper, he knows what he's talking about
IN THE BIBLE GOD GIVES US PERMISSION TO TREAD ON A SNAKES HEAD, ALL I CAN SAY IS “ PLEASE WATCH YOUR STEP”.
taiwanbeauty
SA Reptiles Member

Postby charl.dbn » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:18 am

Goodluck. Its not an easy species to breed:)
charl.dbn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Amphibian » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:08 pm

If the temps you have given are being used to currently cool the animals then they should be fine..if not maybe even a couple degrees cooler at night.
Kloof/ Waterfall winter temps are substantially different to what you would expect from coastal Durban.

I am curious as to how long you have had these individuals and wether or not they are feeding well?
This species is generally not very easy to keep happy and particularly difficult to breed.

Good luck with this project and keep us posted.
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Vipernhunter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:47 pm

Thanks for all information.
I know it is not easy to breed this snake. Keeping is ok. I have a group with 1.3 and they had mating. They eat all baby mouse/small mouse. I hope to breed this. I give infromation if I get eggs and posting pictures. Last year I hibernate this snake 12-15 degree for 6 weeks. Now I hibernate it a little bit warmer.
L.aurora I hat hibernate for 2 month. They get more colder temperature 8-10 degree and I get every year best quality eggs.
Vipernhunter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby marc bt » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:37 am

I would drop the temps lower at night to about 10C, day temps are fine. Like Amphibian said night temps are lower in the Kloof area compared to the coastal areas
a wiseman once said:"you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, but teach him how to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.."
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:38 am

Just remember that the surface temperatures will be cooler than where the snakes find themselves. They are pretty deep in cracks in the rock and I dont think it is all that cold.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Vipernhunter » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:29 pm

If I would live in Kloof I would take temperature sensors and put it in ground, under rocks.
Were I live I have temperatur sensors in ground 5 cm/10 cm/30cm and 50 cm. In 2 meters the different is little between sumer, autum and winter. Now I will see what the snake do in hibernation. The guttatus walk in 14 degree in terrarium and the fuscus too. Under 10 degree they spend all time under the rock were is in terrarium. I make now some experements. I hope I can present eggs and babies in next time. At moment I breed geckos ( Pachydactylus tigrinus/Lepidodactylus lugubris) and if I get babies so they have something to eat.
Vipernhunter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:43 pm

Sounds to me like your doing a fantastic job with these! Keep at it and best of luck with all your Lamprophis. Very interesting work your doing!

Dean.
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Return to House snakes (Lamprophis/Boaedon sp.)