Aurora house snakes, help please!

Re: Aurora house snakes, help please!

Postby TonyK » Thu May 31, 2012 1:53 pm

jules31 wrote:Simply said, it is illegal to catch and keep a wild snake.. the laws are there for good reason... if they werent we would have no snakes left in the wild... typical human nature!! Im sure you can find a breeder!

No snakes left in the wild?Please back statement up with a logical explanation.You don`t know what you are talking about.
KZN have no restrictions on catching wild snakes and no harm has been done to their local snake populations.
The biggest threat is habitat destruction ,not some kid catching a house snake or two.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jules31 » Thu May 31, 2012 2:15 pm

ah... but if every kid in the neighbourhood does the same... we may have a problem, especially with certain species, when last did you actually see an Aurora in the wild???? I have lived on a farm my entire life and have only ever seen one of these! My opinion, which is my opinion, and others may not agree, is if it was born in the wild, leave it be, if you realy want one, go buy one from a breeder! My concsience is clear.
jules31
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Thu May 31, 2012 2:40 pm

Okay first of all the permit system doesnt work. Many people who claim they have CB snakes know full well that the snakes are wild caught. That being said, If its wild and you are not in natal, take a photo and PUT IT BACK! Certain species do willingly eat insects but these are mainly american species such as rough green snakes and american garters. This does sound fishy. Normally when i see someone desperate to get a snake for any price, size, sex, etc. i assume the person has an opportunity to gain something from that snake (swop or cash).
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Thu May 31, 2012 3:33 pm

jules31 wrote:when last did you actually see an Aurora in the wild???? .

The original poster is from Cape Town and Aurora`s are very common down there,in the "wild" and also in peoples gardens and houses.Why do you ask ,did you think they have been collected to the point of extinction?
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Thu May 31, 2012 3:54 pm

There are three kinds of people around here. Activists, conservationists and poachers.

Activists belive that if its wild it should stay that way, one question for you...How did we get captive snakes in the first place?..duh we went and caught them.

Poachers go out and catch as many animals as they can to make some form of profit. Nobody likes a poacher. Dont become one.

The last type of person is my favourite type of person. A conservationist will take only from the environment what he or she desires in a manner that does not have detramental effects on the existing wild population, while acting within the law.

Granted said person is not acting within the law but, as stated, in natal you can freely catch snakes and keep them. And yet the chances of finding a brown house snake in your yard in Natal are ten times that of finding one in your back yard down here.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Thu May 31, 2012 4:18 pm

Nice one Jamster,I agree 100%
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:17 pm

Yes and the people from KZN are arrested poaching animals in other provinces. This recent case is not an isolated incident either. Some populations of small adders and certain lizards have been raped close to extinction. That was not habitat destruction but the illegal pet trade.

Granted one or two snakes will not make a difference to the overall population but where do you draw the line.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby RJG » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:19 pm

virulentamity corrected himself and said that he was only interested in a CB,so this discussion is of topic and we are not answering hes question but are forming a debate that will only cause trouble
RJG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:11 am

One question. If KZN area dont need permits for their snakes, how do they export their snakes to the rest of the country? IS this where a travel permit comes in?

Or does a travel permit come in whenever a snake crosses province borders?
Fear not, forgiveness is in grasp
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:55 pm

Unforgiven the snakes exported by guys in kzn need to be captive bred also. Bongani from KZN wildlife does inspections seeking proof of the animals being captive bred before any export or transport permits are issued.

D
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to House snakes (Lamprophis/Boaedon sp.)