Albino x Irian Jaya

Albino x Irian Jaya

Postby Mitton » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:04 pm

I put my Albino male Carpet on my black Irian Jaya this past season. She developed a bad RI while gravid and I had to treat her with Baytril a few times during this and she also did not eat at all during this time.
She eventually dropped her eggs about 2 weeks later than the year before and of the 19 eggs, only 3 were viable. I incubated them and hatched 2 females and 1 male.

Here are a few pics of the Hets, showing the nice red you always see in baby Darwins.

The one female is darker than the other 2 but she has some shedding stuck to her head so skipped taking pics of her.

www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Re: Albino x Irian Jaya

Postby Strictly_Snakes » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:23 pm

Very cool Mitton

Congrats dude
Strictly_Snakes
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:48 pm

Beautiful hatchlings Mitton

One can only hope the dark colour of the female carries to some of the babies and that you end up with some nice dark adult hets in a few years!
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mitton » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:33 pm

Thanks guys

Westley, the yearling babies of the black female that I kept back are quite dark so I am sure the one female will at least be as dark. Can't wait to see how they turn out.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:35 pm

At the risk of sounding nasty I am glad only 3 hatched. Yeah you can curse me later.

I can see that one day we might have pure white carpet pythons even if the chances are only slight at this stage. Will the amelanistic gene just leave the colours to shine through or will it overpower the colours? Who knows. Darwin and IJ look very very similar to each other in any case.

Congratulations.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Mitton » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:43 pm

Bushviper wrote:At the risk of sounding nasty I am glad only 3 hatched.

I actually agree with you 100%.

Bushviper wrote:I can see that one day we might have pure white carpet pythons even if the chances are only slight at this stage. Will the amelanistic gene just leave the colours to shine through or will it overpower the colours? Who knows.

I did this to see what can be produced, the first guy to produce Albino Darwin x Jungle Carpets took a chance and now I can honestly say that the Albinos are amazing looking animals.
I guess we will have to wait 4 years and see, I have time and if the dark IJ affects the look of the Albino then I score, if not, I tried but still have some albinos that might just look cool.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushbaby » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:51 pm

Now all you need is a bigger snake room!

Congrats, they're stunning.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Warren Klein » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:40 am

Are you hoping for a pattern less albino when you breed the hets back to each other and at what age did your black IJ start turning black? It would have been good if you could produce more pure Darwin albinos as well. At least harrisoni and variegata are very closely related if that means anything.
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:32 am

Herphabitat wrote:Are you hoping for a pattern less albino when you breed the hets back to each other and at what age did your black IJ start turning black?.

She was pretty dark from the time I got her, she was about 2 years old. I still can't believe I got her for free, I wanted to buy a Jaguar Carpet and she came in the deal, paid the same price I paid for a previous Jag for the 2. I thought I would just sell her but when I opened the bag I could not believe how good she looked.
If her dark colour can be transferred to her babies, as I have seen in some of her current 2 year old babies, then I hope breeding 2 together will give me pattern less or at least reduced pattern albinos. It's worth a try. Her darkest son will go on her this season coming, will see what those babies look like.

Herphabitat wrote:It would have been good if you could produce more pure Darwin albinos as well. At least harrisoni and variegata are very closely related if that means anything.

I will produce pure Darwin albinos this year, Bushvipers female is nice and big!
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mitton » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:07 pm

Updated pic.

www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:00 pm

Irian Jaya and Darwins look so similar. Lets see what happens in the future.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Mitton » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:01 pm

This year I put one of her sons on her, she is ready to pop, had her pre-lay shed last night.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westley Price » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:55 am

Amazing Eugene.

What a bonus to have the albino gene as well as this gorgeous black trait in a single clutch.

Let's hope the fact that you have bred her to her own son makes for some enhanced black babies!
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Warren Klein » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:56 am

She just keeps looking better!
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:14 pm

Thanks guys. She is the most awesome snake and even better in person.

Her clutch had a few animals that are normal colour and then a few that are dark. Obviously the darkest son was put with her. Can't wait till the eggs start to hatch, going to be exciting times.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Next

Return to Carpet pythons (Morelia spilota sp.)