Iguana lighting

Iguana lighting

Postby imperial exotix » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:45 pm

Hey guys and girls,
I've bought an iguana from the expo this past weekend and have a quick question concerning the uvb intensity.
I have a 10.0 uvb tube and want to use it for the iguana, I have heard that having a 10.0 for an igg is to intense and it can cause skin damage. I have placed the bulb about 35cm above the his enclosure so the light won't harm my iguana in any way as per recommendation from the guy I have bought it from. On the box of the uvb it says that screen filters around 50% of the uvb out so I'm worried that he will be getting to little uv

Has anyone else heard of something like this and is anyone using a 10.0 for a igg and its fine?
Any help would be appreciated

Regards
Aadil
imperial exotix
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Iguana lighting

Postby kostantine » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:55 am

Hi,

10.0% isn't the appropriate. As the manufacturer guide -on the box- says the 10.0% is for desert animals. For Green Iguanas (Rainforest animal), the appropriate is the 5.0%. Before years ago, a man, a friend of mine, using 10.0% for Green Iguana, experienced the known -closed eye- problem, which collapsed after days of using the appropriate bulb.

I also got the sense, that the fluorecent bulbs (pipes) are much better, because they offer better lighting and they allow the animal to recieve ultraviolent over the lenght of the body.

Check also my setup (2 X 5.0% UVB):

http://reptibrowser.com/
kostantine
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Iguana lighting

Postby imperial exotix » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:45 pm

Thanks allot for the help. I changed the bulb already to a 5.0 just to be safe and he seems to be doing well.

Kind regards
Aadil
imperial exotix
SA Reptiles Member

Return to American Lizards