Frilled Lizard

Frilled Lizard

Postby starchild_81212 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:43 pm

okay so i've had snakes not lizards, and my BF who deployed last week went out and bought a frilled lizard...
well he set up the cage and we've had him for a good 2 months now, well he left me a care sheet to the T what i should do and i've been following it
i must be a really stupid chick but....adio our lizard stopped eating about 2 days ago, he was fine yesterday we held him and he was very active....but today he's very passive doesnt really move, he's hand fed crickets he doesnt hunt and u can dangle that cricket in front of his face for more than five minutes and he just ignored you.
we keep his cage between 85-95 degrees F
Humidity at last 70% we hand mist him our mister broke...
he has a basking light a heat lamp and a night lamp all built into his cage top
he has moss on one side and sand on the other its a 55 gallon tank
and his crickets are shook in the calcium powder or w.e that stuff....

given we were feeding him 3 crickets a day and lately hes wanted 6 a day so maybe were over feeding him?
any advice! i dont wanna kill my honeys lizard while hes away in iraq...

thanks! :smt021
starchild_81212
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Frilled Lizard

Postby Iggy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:12 pm

Starchild, I have never kept a frilled dragon before, and you don't mention how old this one is...however 3 crickets a day seems a very small amount. I did find this one one forum dedicated to frills....

When feeding, place the crickets into a plastic bag or tub, add a small amount of calcium/vitamin supplement and shake vigorously to coat the insects well. Drop them into the enclosure and allow the dragons about 10 minutes to consume as much as they want. Juveniles will eat quite a lot in this period, twice a day. Adults can be fed every two days, again as much as they will eat in 10 minutes.

If he is in fact undernourished, get him to a reptile vet who can advise you the best diet to get him back into condition again, you may need to force feed him if he is very weak. Also try to vary his diet, like all lizards they require variety, try mealworms, superworms, roaches etc.

You also don't mention any source of UV light? If you don't have one, get one, or even better make a plan to get him into some natural sunlight for a couple of hours every day, NOT under glass (you will cook him and the UV doesn't penetrate anyway) and with access to shade and water.

I would also suggest you get him to a reptile vet ASAP regardless, as they can deteriorate very rapidly and taking shots in the dark at fixing the problem may only exacerbate it if you don't get it right quickly.
Perry's Bridge Reptile Park
Hazyview, Mpumalanga
"Through Inspiration Comes Conservation"
http://www.snakes-uncovered.com
FIND US ON FACEBOOK!
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Australasian Lizards