Breeding tips for Naja, Hemachatus

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Breeding tips for Naja, Hemachatus

Postby Ryan Steele » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:28 am

Hey all,

This is my 1st post here so I will provide a little background. I have been keeping venomous reptiles for 10 years, mainly Bitis species with some arboreal pitvipers mixed in. I am currently a keeper at the Dallas Zoo and I now have the pleasure of keeping a variety of Naja and Hemachatus. We have good breeding groups of nivea, nigricincta, haemachatus and I just wanted a little help with getting them to breed. Everyone is kept in 3x2x1 cages with multiple hideboxes and at least a 95w basking spot. We just began feeding smaller prey items twice a week. So far we have just been doing introductions of 3-4 days then seperating for feeding. Any tips from the pros would be great. Thanks in advance for your time.
Ryan Steele
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Breeding tips for Naja, Hemachatus

Postby Carpetpythons » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:00 am

Have you got any locality data available for the animals in your care?
Carpetpythons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ryan Steele » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:19 pm

I'll check into it and see what I can come up with. I dont think we have any locality data though.
Ryan Steele
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:50 pm

The nivea and nigricincta are bred far more often than the Haemachatus. Try to get a thesis done by Dr Graham Alexander on temperatures in Rinkhals over a winter period. If you can replicate that then you will be better off than normal hibernation prosedures.

On this forum Pythonadipsas breeds nigricincta quite regularly so I am sure when he sees this he can help you. The niveas are also bred regularly and they need a pretty cold winter across most of their range.

I am sure you will be able to give advice if we ever get P. anchietae and need to breed them?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Active archive