Diving with mamba

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Diving with mamba

Postby hammies » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:33 pm

I was sent a link to this video and was wondering if they got the ID right?

Can anyone confirm the snake is a black mamba?
i'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing!!
hammies
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Diving with mamba

Postby snake kid » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:09 pm

I'm no expert but the neck is to thick compared to the head. I don't think that's a black mamba. The body is also to stout.
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
2.0. Cornsnake 1 normal 1 Butter
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder
1.1. Puff adder
1.0. boomslang
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:27 pm

One thing you need to remember when looking at the video, it is under water and the size cannot be trusted, there is still a airpocket between the lens of the camera and the water, which means that it will be magnified slightly. they do not say how deep it was, there for do not judge by color. May "guestamated" depth would be around 7-10m, judging on the lack of color, it may be deeper than that even. I have noticed that my own under water videos look like that from 10m and deeper.

I do not recognize the place where they dived so can't help with locality,
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:32 pm

bubblesharp wrote:One thing you need to remember when looking at the video, it is under water and the size cannot be trusted, there is still a airpocket between the lens of the camera and the water, which means that it will be magnified slightly. they do not say how deep it was, there for do not judge by color. May "guestamated" depth would be around 7-10m, judging on the lack of color, it may be deeper than that even. I have noticed that my own under water videos look like that from 10m and deeper.

I do not recognize the place where they dived so can't help with locality,

Idiot key board! Pressed the wrong button and posted! but like they say, computers don't make mistakes the users do! :smt021

Anyway, just looked at the video again and it seems like at least a 15m dive, probably at either Bass Lake or Miracle Waters, So JHB Or Brits. I did ask for locality. Another thing you need to remember that will greatly impact the way the snake appear under water is the water pressure. At 15m, you will add another 1.5 atmospheres of pressure, and thus certain parts of the snakes body will be distorted due to the amount of pressure! At that depth it would have "halved" the volume of air in the lungs and pretty sure other parts of the snakes body would also be out of proportions.

Just my take on it
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:45 pm

Looks like a mamba, must be quite an experience diving with one of them, can't say I've seen or heard of it before though.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby hammies » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:20 am

Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming please :D
i'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing!!
hammies
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:00 am

I do have my doubts about the video. I have never seen mambas go so deep underwater. Secondly the snake is not too big to not be one of the water snakes if you look at the size of the leaves as he passes over them. What would a mamba be doing at that depth? The colour is distorted as well but if this guy believes it was a mamba and did not freak out then good for him. It is not impossible that it was a mamba and he was in Mpumalanga so I would give him the benefit of the doubt.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Active archive