Rinkhals today in Benoni

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Re: Rinkhals today in Benoni

Postby Richard Mastenbroek » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:37 pm

Good looking Rinkhals funny Elapids they are
My way of keeping snakes and the way I handle them is my way and not to copy or taken as example. Working with venomoussnakes can be risk with deadly ending.
Richard Mastenbroek
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:23 am

Here is a pic of the male after I placed him in a large cage. He was very unimpressed and was spitting al overthe glass and striking at it (I ended up covering the whole thing with a blanket after the 6th strike in 2 minutes), but the copious amount of venom that he ejected during these 6 strikes... Wow! All I can say is this snake must have some huge venom glands in him.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:27 pm

What a beauty!

Lovely beasties you found there!
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby swazi » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:36 pm

A very interesting post, thanks for sharing. You learn something new every day! I have kept Rinkhals for years and have never seen them spit if not raised.
Swazi
Women are Angels...and when someone breaks our wings...we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick..we are flexible like that.
swazi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:38 pm

Why the hell does Benoni have so many rinkhals??
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:20 pm

Because they are "Hardcore" like the those of us that live here :P, seriously I have no idea, but if you speak to the "old" timers in the fire departments around Benoni/Boksburg/Brakpan/Springs they have caught tons of them out this side of the world. Perhaps there is just so much open space here, with a lot of marsh land. I know that back in the day, the area around Allensnek and Honeydew etc used to have tons of them, but it has now all been so built up that most of the natural habitat is gone.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:50 am

Just an update on these two... They are doing well, I was struggling to find toads for them to eat (being away, the wife isn't too keen on lenghty missions in the dark muddy areas!), and they refused to take mice at all. The other night when I was home we had a serious rainstorm, and my lawn was covered in Platanna's (Xenopus), so I caught about 10 of them and dropped them into the water bowl in the cage. Within minutes it was a feeding frenzy of note with both of the snakes stuffing themselves to the brim :-)
And here I always thought Platties were only good for catching catfish...
Mark
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:48 am

My wife called me up yesterday afternoon to say that the female has dropped a litter, she thinks around 15, although one appears to have drowned in the water bowl. I assume that these are all out of the this pair of Rinkhals, although my wife did catch another large one two weekends back and I told her to stick it in with the others. Will have to do some sexing when i get back! I have asked her to try and get some pics so i can post them up here as I only get home in a week's time... Will update soon... Ciao
Mark
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boskobra » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:22 pm

EISH.... that is 2 stunning snakes..... i am so jealous where i am sitting!!! you are very lucky to find a nice healthy pair if Rinkhals like that!!
keep us posted on how they are doing... :)
"Winners are losers who got up and gave it one more try. "

Eben Keet
Boskobra
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:40 pm

As promised, some pics of the babies. There are 29 so far (4 were dead) and they all look pretty interestingly marked and coloured. I will get better pics when i get home on Thursday. These guys look very similar to N.mossambica at this age...
Mark
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:40 pm

Wow some really light coloured animals amongst them.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Sico » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:01 pm

Seems to be. Do you think they will all darken with age?
Mark
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby marc bt » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:08 pm

Do you think these snakes have a banded gene in them or do all baby Rinkhals have those markings at that age?
What are you going to do with the babies?
a wiseman once said:"you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, but teach him how to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.."
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:20 pm

I don't know Marc, I have found juveniles a little bigger than this in the same area, but they have looked just like the adults as far as colouration goes. I'm not sure, I will be releasing them, just need to think of a suitable place. I might sprinkle them around, with a few in one place, and a few in another place. There are several suitable areas close to where i stay, I don't want to dump them all in one spot though. Will give it a bit of thought as to the best place for them as far as food goes, vs the likelihood of becoming nuisance adults to established properties and pets/kids. Very few of them will get to be adults, we don't need those killed off by overzealous ignorant home owners!
Mark
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:59 am

There's a really light one on the rhs with a spectacle pattern on it's hood. Keep that one! Would be very interesting to see how it looks as it grows.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

PreviousNext

Return to Active archive