South Africa's Bite Darwin Award Winners

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Re: South Africa's Bite Darwin Award Winners

Postby kinghero » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:33 pm

poobsta wrote:This post has had some valid points however people such as monopeltis and kinghero have just taken everything out of context! The posters that where made by monopeltis where very degrading I am sure to the people who it was aimed at. Judging by your posts neither of you are hot experts so I think its best if you stick to what you know. Just my opinion

Might not be an expert on hot’s or snakes for that fact, I however am a health and safety rep. and has done multiple courses in many forms off safety in many different types of environments. But even without all of that it would be pretty easy to see if someone is being reckless. In any situation.

If you look at my post’s I did not once say how he must handle the snake, which technique to use, yada yada yada, and this is because I am not an expert. I even said ask BV he gives courses. So I never claimed to be what you think. However everything I said was valid just read it again. Every scenario I gave was valid. I know how to see sht happening a mile away. In the end I can debate ( an I like a good debate) till worlds end, I however can’t force anyone to be safe, I know I’ve tried and failed horribly. But as I said before at least I’m trying, and not afraid to voice my opinion, and being a human on this planet I’m entitle to have one, I generally try and have an intellectual opinion, but then again to someone it will be and to the next it will be nothing.

The one thing I always try and teach others, is learn from others. I always try and learn from everyone. You will see I always ask questions, because that’s how you learn.

As for taking it out of context, I can’t take anything that someone won’t let me take out of context. He came on very upset about his pictures, putting his demands down, chucking toys out his cot, JA anybody might have done the same thing. But to me that’s an attack on a community that I like ( I don’t even know most of you) yet I am loyal and will stand up for this community. In the end it boils down to he kept on adding the fuel and we kept on blowing wind into his fire. So don’t come with you and monopeltis pulled it out of proportion because it’s not like that. Monopelits always only has valid, informative posts.
:smt018
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:37 pm

And this BV is why you should maybe opt to only help the general public with snake bites and not keepers. The last few pages on this thread is shocking. I cannot believe we have such people in the reptile community, and that we actually allow them on the forum. I wish we could weed out the idiots from those who are actually interested in helping the community and learning. Yes, way too many cowboys, fortunately BV isnt one of them.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Bushviper » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:48 pm

Bushbaby where do you draw the line? I will help whoever I can. It costs me very little (except the rattler bite which cost me over R100 000-00) and if it saves a life or a limb then that's all I do this for. I have driven out to hospitals and made phone calls for hours at a time to help even people who we said were going to get bitten by their actions.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby poobsta » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:01 pm

Of course tommy/john eckley was upset his personal photos where taken for one reason and one reason only and that was too make a mockery of him which is what I don't agree with. I think a picture of someone's mom was even edited, put yourself in this scenario. I know that I would have been very offended if it had happened to me! I know that the pictures where put up because he was free handling but editing it to say 'if your umthondo is too small use a cobra' or something along those lines is highly inappropriate
There is no such thing as I can't
poobsta
SA Reptiles Member

Postby monopeltis » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:15 pm

monopeltis wrote:Image

Is this the one you are talking about Poobsta? If my mother was a kowgirl I would be ashamed of her too!
monopeltis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chondro3000 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:10 pm

Guys this forum is going down the crapper quickly, You'll see I've not made many posts, and being on the forum for so long, my policy is rather say something constructive, helpfull, than just a blank page as well as just (LOL) guys come on, then as well as all the mud slinging please man grow up, if you do such childish things maybe you souldn't keep hots.
Man kind would be very lonely with out the companionship of animals
chondro3000
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:18 pm

I cannot 100% confirm this is a case of "near natural selection" but I am pretty sure it is.

I saw this picture shared on Facebook, and seeing and NOTHING on Facebook is private, thought I'd share :D It's pretty old, but the lesson still holds.

I can't say I've ever seen a Gaboon bite, so here's a nice reality check.

The guy bitten is calle Jeremy "Cobraking" Loveland :smt021 Not that hot, now are you?

No images were stolen. I copied and pasted the URLs directly off his public page.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westley Price » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:36 am

"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby MrG » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:40 am

Danger have no limits. :lol:
MrG
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby froot » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:45 am

That puffy nails that guy in the face his life as he knows it is over. Would be a dam interesting medical case though.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Sico » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Yip. I would LOVE to manage that airway! :lol:
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:17 pm

I agree with BV there. If someone is in need of help you cannot turn a blind eye. Call them stupid and irresponsible but when somebodies like is at stake you cannot ignore it.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:19 pm

Hahahaha

Play with snakes like that and you will get tagged.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cornelius » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:08 pm

I think the term “natural selection” has always been used freely and openly, but only now does it actually prove why it applies. You can not be bought up this stupid, it is a defect from before birth.
Playing Russian roulette will eventually back fire on you.

Puffy to the face would actually be a very informative incident.....

Who is the other guy in his spare time? Sub Zero or Scorpion?
There is something that is much more scarce, something finer by far , something rarer than ability.
It is the Ability to recognise Ability

http://www.facebook.com/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804?v=photos#!/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804
Cornelius
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MrG » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:07 pm

Does this guy qualify? :lol:
MrG
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

PreviousNext

Return to News and Announcements