Now this is what we need

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Now this is what we need

Postby Bushviper » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:32 am

Got this on news24.com

Mass hysteria after snake kill
07/09/2006 22:48 - (SA)

Kathmandu - Dozens of children have fainted, apparently because of mass hysteria, after school authorities in Nepal killed a snake, considered as sacred by many Hindus, witnesses said on Thursday.

At least 67 pupils - aged between nine and 16 years - have had fainting fits since Tuesday in the mainly Hindu country, they said.

"Children suddenly scream, cry and faint," Rishikesh Baral, assistant headmaster of the school, told Reuters by phone.

"Some recover after a couple of hours while others are yet to fully recover. We apologise for killing the snake."

Authorities in the Laxmi Secondary School near the resort town of Pokhara, 125km west of Kathmandu, organised priests to perform religious rites on Thursday to exorcise the "evil spirit" of the snake killed by school officials last week.

Doctors told school officials it was a case of hysteria caused by fear of divine retribution for the snake's death.

Hindus regard snakes as sacred and Lord Shiva, the Hindu god of destruction, is shown wearing a serpent as a garland.

A local journalist said priests scattered rice and sprinkled holy water in classrooms to drive away the snake's "spirit".

I reckon that this will teach them a lesson, now to get the same fear in the South African locals.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Re: Now this is what we need

Postby JJward7 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:29 am

I know this post is very old but only read it now. But i Fully agree with you BV if only we could get all South Africans to feel the same way then atleast there will be a better understanding for these amazing creatures.
Every good story seems to begin with a snake.
JJward7
SA Reptiles Member

Return to News and Announcements