Red lipped herald in trouble!

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Red lipped herald in trouble!

Postby Bernice » Sun May 10, 2020 6:50 pm

Greetings all!

I have a serious little problem on my hands, and any and all advice would be appreciated! (very short version at the bottom)

Long back ground story:
Before lock down I rescued a 30-40cm Red lipped snake from my place of work, It had been hit with a spade about half way down his body, but the wound looked to be superficial, only a tear in the skin, I took him home and have been treating the wound to the best of my abilities, (every second day, or third day, a soak in tepid water and applied bactroban ointment), he has shed, and is defecating normally, but today I noticed something off about the wound, it appears to have perforated much deeper than I thought! it appears as if stomach contents are in the wound! i pulled out 2 small leaves (that were not there when I cleaned him up on day one!) and a BEETLE! like a scarab type beetle! too big to have gotten in there unless he swallowed it! (I cant get the beetle out the hole in his side without causing him more damage)

So long story short... I have a herald with a hole in his side, he is feeling good enough to move around and bite me, he is shedding, pooing and trying to eat, but has a hole in his side that seems to have eroded through to his gut... DOES THIS GUY STAND ANY CHANCE OR DO I PUT HIM DOWN!?!?!

help...
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Red lipped herald in trouble!

Postby Westley Price » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:47 pm

Hi Bernice

Are you quite sure the hole has eroded into his gut? If so, that sounds beyond home treatment.

Can you perhaps share a photo or two?
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Re: Red lipped herald in trouble!

Postby Bernice » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:37 pm

Hi westley... unfortunately yes, the hole was all the way into his gut, and even though the vet and I tried as hard as we could, he didnt make it, just kind of went weak and unresponsive one morning and by lunch he had passed... :(
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital