Possible scale rot?

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Possible scale rot?

Postby eclipse » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:57 am

Hi everyone

Please give me advice, I am planning to learn a lot and prefer to DIY unless I really have to go to the VET.

Here is a Pic of how the scales look, you'll see a darker/dirty line between the scales...

We bought the "breeding pair" on Saturday, only noticed this afterwards on the male and i've moved them to a clean "Exo-Terra Breeding Faunarium"... Ive treated the affected area with a 50% dilution of surgical spirits and water and found that it became slightly better after about a day.

Any advice would really be appreciated .

Thanks in advance...

PS: For some funny reason sareptiles is not uploading my pictures, here is a link to my photobucket folder:

http://s21.photobucket.com/user/ECL1PSE/library/Snakes

I've mailed to webmaster @t sareptile5.co.za to report this problem but the mail came back, not sure where to report this error, this is what I get:
Please assist with this error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster @t sareptile5.co.za and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
eclipse
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Possible scale rot?

Postby Whitelipp » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:51 pm

Dont worry about it. There doesnt seem to be any inflammation at all and that doesnt look like scale rot.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Possible scale rot?

Postby eclipse » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:34 pm

Thanks, we have given him a nice 30degree Celsius bath for about 45min with a few drops of olive oil, dried him nicely and wiped with cloth and old skin started coming off.. ;-)
What a relief!!!

The actual reason for the olive oil is because we found that some of our snakes had some mites and we heard from someone that using olive oil smothers the mites...

Olive oil is good for humans, cannot be bad for snakes right? ;-)

He has eaten without a problem yesterday and he still looks very happy....
eclipse
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital