The Battle Lost.

At one stage or the other, we all deal with a death. It is never nice losing a pet and thus, you can share your loss with the rest of us and share your memories so that they will be remembered.

The Battle Lost.

Postby LeglessDragon » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:40 am

I had wished and prayed and tried everything under the sun. I had hoped that this would be a success story. Sadly, after 2 years of trying, Saddles the okeetee corn passed away yesterday.

I had resuced her from a irresponsible pet shop. She was very thin. I fed her and she started bulking up then stopped and began to regurge. I tried everything - every antibiotic under the sun, deworming meds, you name it I tried it! Nothing. She had become so thin you could feel her ribs. I have had to even tube feed her and even tried the capsule feeding idea. She would pick up some energy and I would hope. I did fecal exams and blood works (after being told that the only thing for her was putting her down - maybe I should have listened...). All clear. Nothing was found. I was stuborn. I refused to give up on her. Maybe I was very wrong and should have put her down.

I did the autopsy this morning. I found small growths in her stomach, gut and lung. I think she suffered greatly and I was too stuborn to let her die in peace! Never again.

Sadly, my goodbye to a beautiful snake.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Re: The Battle Lost.

Postby Rishaad » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:02 am

I'm so sorry Charmaine. It was it's time and at least it does not have to suffer anymore. You tried your best and the rest was up to God who we cannot question.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:49 am

Real sorry to hear,

You did all you could and I'm sure she appreciated it in her own way.

She had a much better life with you than the one before, without you...

She's peacefull now.

R.I.P. Saddles.
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:34 am

Atleast you tried and she stood a better chance than in the shop you bought her from.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby LeglessDragon » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:30 pm

@Rishaad - I know I should not question Him, but I sometimes wonder why he does not give us more wisdom in the care of His creatures. Maybe I just don't listen hard enough...

@Insaniac - Thanks. I hope she had a good life, but with the growths I think her last days were painful.

@Bushbaby - I 'took' her from the petshop. I still remeber blowing up at them and issuing an ultimatum to give me her or else! She would have died any way. It would have just been sooner and worse in their care.

Thanks to all of you. She grew on me. I will miss her, but I think she is in a better place now.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snake Charmer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:06 pm

So sorry to hear Charmaine ... just know that you did your best and that the bit of time she spent with you must've felt like heaven for her since she came from such a cr@p place.
Repetition builds confidence!

MP
Snake Charmer
SA Reptiles Member

Return to RIP