Rat Snake

Snakes exotic to South Africa commonly known as non-venomous.

View Gallery

Rat Snake

Postby Shaunrp » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:29 am

For the past few months after my rat snake sheds, he completely submerges himself in his water bowl. Could his skin be itchy after the shedding and is it normal for him to do this, because he started doing this in the middle of winter?
BlackBerry Pin 2B75DC00
2-Brown house snakes
2-Corn snakes
1-Olive house snake
1-Rat snake
Shaunrp
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Rat Snake

Postby Primogen » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:34 am

Completely normal behavior, pretty much all rat snakes love to sit in water at some point or another.

But there can be other factors such as mites or the cage is too hot for them, maybe look into those if your worried.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Shaunrp » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:21 pm

Thanks for the info, I've noticed that he only does it for a day or two after shedding. Never seen mites on him yet and the tanks get cleaned regularly as well as the grass carpets
BlackBerry Pin 2B75DC00
2-Brown house snakes
2-Corn snakes
1-Olive house snake
1-Rat snake
Shaunrp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:59 pm

Some of that astro turf stuff can be pretty abrasive. I noticed that with leos and some snakes their bellies can become slightly red and irritated by some forms of astro especially shortly after shedding. This may cause him to sit in the water to avoid the irritation. I maintain that while it isn't aesthetically pleasing, newspaper is my first choice of substrate. Bear in mind that this may not be the case at all, but just to cover all posibilities there it is.

Rat snakes are particularly fond of water, as mentioned. I find that my corn snakes and yelleow rat snakes will submerge their entire head in the water when they drink and this somehow leads to them simply lying in the water. It just seems to be part of their nature.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic fangless (harmless) snakes