Variety Of Herps?

This section is for debates, Quizzes and Competitions. Please keep the debates clean, no name calling, etc. Have fun!
Check back often to see the latest Competitions and progress thereof.

Variety Of Herps?

Postby Fooble » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:14 pm

For lack of a better place to put this up.

Are people these days just keeping all the same common snakes or is it just those who care to share only keep the common pet shop type animals?

Ive just been becoming more aware of posts are all the same "beardies" , "Ball Pythons" and Corn snakes whilst not forgetting Boa Constrictors.

There are only so many Beardie and Ball posts one can read?
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Re: Variety Of Herps?

Postby Westley Price » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:34 pm

Haha, Fooble, many guys feel this way, myself included.

The thing is, when Piet posts pictures of his Corn snake, he gets 20 responses, but if I posts pics of my Rhino Ratsnakes, I get 4 or 5 responses.

I have stopped bothering to post less known stuff as they tend to get lost in the rest and guys don't seem interested.

I have noticed the same trend in some other users who used to share many pictures, but have stopped due to lack of interest.

Sex sells on TV and Corns, Balls and Beardies sell in the reptile world....I guess.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby MISA » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:46 pm

I agree Fooble,

it does seem that a lot of people are into the same species or types, could this be because of a shift in interests? or possibly an expanded market due to some breeds becoming more accessible to more people instead of just the hard core keepers that spend thousands on a certain line or morph of a particular animal?

Or is it because the "markets" lead with these species? is it a fad, will it change next season?
Who knows?

Beardies in my honest opinion are awesome creatures, whether or not they ten to the dozen and cheaper than ever before they still make an awesome pet to somebody that would keep them.

As for Balls, I don't have any and am not likely to get any as they do not appeal to me, yet to the next person they are a dream?

It's personal to user/ keeper I guess, one thing I am sure of is that here on the forum we don't always get to hear or read of what is kept secret and out of the public eye..

There is a lot out there that we don't know about... we were talking about this yesterday?

I personally have a wide range of "kids" as you know, it expanded to include yet another species yesterday! :lol: shot!

MISA. :-D
"I have absolutely NO tolerance for stupidity and self-inflicted pain borne out of the greed to gain at another’s expense."
(Made_In_SA 09)

1.0 -Matindane (WC)
1.0 -Mkhovu (WC)
1.0 -Tokoloshe (CB)
1.0.1 -Angasi (WC)
MISA
SA Reptiles Member

Postby @ndy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:54 pm

Hi westley / Fooble

I do agree

Please dont stop posting the less known stuff, there are a couple of us that are more actualy interested in the less known stuff. I would much rather see something new and interesting than the same old Corn snake (not to offend the corn owners), I am new to the forum and I would like te learn more about the lesser known/kept snakes. I dont even read a forum that says beardie because all of us have/own/seen beardies.

I personaly have a 2010 cb Ckeckered garter (One of Graeme's) And an Apricot Pueblan Milk snake (Hades - also from Graeme). I dont own a Corn because they are so commonley kept (i have nothing against corn's and you get realy beautifull Corn morphs). I want something that's not as commonly kept!

Its true what you say Sex sells and the Corn, Balls and Beardies but if we dont give people the exposure to the less known stuff they will stay less known.

Please share the lesser known stuff!!
http://www.reptitracker.co.za

0.1.0 Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli
1.1.4 Thamnophis marcianus
0.1.0 Lampropeltis getula getula
1.0.0 Lampropeltis getula californiae
@ndy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:58 pm

Logically you will get more responses/posts with animals that are more commonly available.
Here are also many posts on those that are not so common, too. What animal would you like to read more about.
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ryuu » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Well I think its just got to do with exposure. and of course the starter Herps

Prices on Bearded dragons, Corn snakes and Ball pythons are at a all time low.. (Speaking about the "Normal's")
And those 3 represent the starter group. So it's only natural that the majority of new comers have these Animals and are eager to discuss them, don't forget that people tend not to comment on something they don't understand or have little experience in.

I am sure this will change with time. as the newcomers progress and keep more exotic animals.

But please Don't Stop Sharing..
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:40 pm

Cool thanks for the responses.

West since your "Northern Cape Herping" thread "died" allot of the surprise interest did too.

I guess the percentage to guys who keep snakes and do active herping is quite minimal.
I think allot more people are into exotic stuff as per indigenous.

MISA wrote:As for Balls, I don't have any and am not likely to get any ...

Bit of an over share Jan ;) Couldnt resist!
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby glencoco » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:58 pm

I must say though I am guilty of this, I have 2.1.0 Corns; 0.1.0 Kisatchies; 0.0.1 Hybrid (TaixYellowXcorn) and 1.0.0 Halloween Tangerine Leopard Gecko.
But it is rather hard to find more uncommon reptiles, I wish I could have a Ridley-eyed rat snake, Madagascan Day Gecko or Rhino rat snake. But I just cannot find any!
glencoco
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:10 pm

Dont take it the wrong way im not saying there is anything wrong with having and keeping those things.
Some guys only like that stuff.

Just all the different posts seems to have stopped.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Graeme » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:04 pm

You may find that the guys with some of the less common stuff, due to the simple nature of things, have less time to post and answer questions. Also, some people are just not that 'in-your-face'. Some of you will have noticed that a lot of the guys with truly incredible collections never post in the "so what do you keep" threads.
Maybe, for some it's a question of subtlety.
I cant speak for anyone else though.
Reach us @ Graeme Lotter on FB
OR 082 4749139
Email: snakesnadders@yahoo.co.uk
Graeme
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ryuu » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:28 pm

Graeme you do raise a good Point.. Being off the radar has its perks.
I can think of a fair amount of reasons why a person would want to hide he/she's more exclusive animals from the public.

But to each he's own If they dont want to share or dont have the time to share its their prerogative.
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:40 pm

Often people look at a species like the Rhino ratsnakes and think "well I will seem silly if I ask too many questions so let me just play it cool and make as if I know about it".

If they ask or mention things about the reptiles they keep then at least they can seem interested or make a contribution about what they have experienced.

THIS IS WRONG.

Just because people do not reply to your post does not mean that they do not appreciate it. It means they are nervous about looking like a "beginner" or a voyeur because they have not seen it before or cannot make a contribution.

If each person here can just start one thread a month about an animal they have or one they would like to know more about then you will see how things change.

Fooble give us something we have not seen in the recent past and start the ball rolling.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby F1refly » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:53 pm

In my opinion the problem is that Corn Snakes and Beardies and whatever are dirt Cheap. More "Exotic" reptiles are way out of most peoples price range. I would love to have started out with a Milk Snake or Ratsnake but since I am only 16 and get about R300 a month, I had to start with something cheaper. Same with my Beared Dragon, I would have liked to get a Chinese Water Dragon or a Uromastyx but same thing, too expensive. But is as you all said as well. I always love to hear about things like Rhino Ratsnakes and Leopard Geckos on this forum. So please people, post about your more interesting Reptiles and Spiders.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby iiviii » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:53 pm

How about adding a new section as a "bragging" arena? Just to give people the chance to show off what they have instead of seeing all the normal thins. I personaly would love to read more about different stuff, like a post that was added yesterday named " Interesting Read". I really enjoyed it and even though sometimes we may not all agree, we are still entitled to our own opinion. But that is where I am guilty too, I don't lways give my opinion, or thank someone for the posts they put up.
There is no greater love than that shared between a human and a reptile - Author Unknown
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snakemanjayd » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:06 am

Now now Foobs, lets not be a species snob/elitist. ha ha

I'm going to repeat a lot of what people have said but...

The more common snakes are going to have more posts. And it's normally those common animals that n00bs get for their firsts, hence more questions about them than any other, so by the time someone gets to filesnakes, fisks house snakes, Gila Monsters or something else that is impressive and hot, they already are pretty confident at their skills, and might only post to impress people, or even keep it secret till they have bred them and want to sell?

Just my thoughts...
snakemanjayd
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Debate, Quiz and Competition Forum