Tame Mamba?

This section is for debates, Quizzes and Competitions. Please keep the debates clean, no name calling, etc. Have fun!
Check back often to see the latest Competitions and progress thereof.

Re: Tame Mamba?

Postby kfc223 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:56 pm

Serpent wrote:
najarw wrote:I know Neels (a friend of mine serpent) and have seen the snake and where it is housed. anyone who has doubts should just visit him to see for themselves what the set up is. The snake is in a secure locked room. I do not free handle or promote free handling butif other people are comfortable with it then it is their prerogative to do it. I don't drink either but don't judge those who do. There are risks with handling venomous snakes as there are with keeping guns. It is an idividuals right as long as he does not endager those around him which I do not belive Neels does. I think the worst thing is alarmist reactions such as "what if the camera fell on him"!! really. Although not advised for inexperianced keepers, there is nothing wrong with keeping venom. I think most people who keep venomous snake are more responsible than a lot of gun owners.

Najarw:

I have been keeping venomous snakes for 30 years, and dont need any advice on how to handle them thank you.
I am NOT an alarmist, I am a realist and accidents do happen, especially when there is an entire camera crew in a small room with a black mamba.

There is nothing anyone here could say or do that would change my opinion on Neel's practices. If he wants to put his own life on the line, thats his problem, but he should never ever allow anyone else anywhere near his deadly pet.
At least gun owners have to pass a competency test before they are allowed to have one just by the way.

Agreed!

Handling snakes like that in front of a film crew is just irresponsible. We are lucky that the media didn't make a big scene about it, that could have ended badly.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mamba no 5 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:18 pm

Especially considering the reputation a Mamba has for biting several people at once.
(insert inspiring quote here)
Mamba no 5
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herald_23 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:38 pm

A bit off topic

But when you have a venomous snake in your possession you pretty much take the lives of the people who live in that building, the surrounding people (neighbours) and anyone who visits, into your own hands, and having a venomous snake, let alone the one of the most venomous, roam your house in free will and sit on people's laps, you are going to cause a lot of #$%^.
Just remember that by doing this you are giving the hobby a bad name. What if 'hots' are banned completely because of someone's mishandling and life-threatening accident. This is why I hate freehandlers. They show off their 'tame' snakes and eventually put themselves of other people in hospital.

It is folly. It really is. Throwing one of Africa's most venomous like a puppy is note 'cool' or 'in touch with the animal's essence'. That is a load of bull. No animal is tame, only habilitized. Even dogs, the longest domesticated animal, turn on their owners.

Do not be stupid. Think a bit, please
The lion does not fear the jackal
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ColinWa » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:03 pm

Herald_23 wrote:A bit off topic

But when you have a venomous snake in your possession you pretty much take the lives of the people who live in that building, the surrounding people (neighbours) and anyone who visits, into your own hands, and having a venomous snake, let alone the one of the most venomous, roam your house in free will and sit on people's laps, you are going to cause a lot of #$%^.
Just remember that by doing this you are giving the hobby a bad name. What if 'hots' are banned completely because of someone's mishandling and life-threatening accident. This is why I hate freehandlers. They show off their 'tame' snakes and eventually put themselves of other people in hospital.

It is folly. It really is. Throwing one of Africa's most venomous like a puppy is note 'cool' or 'in touch with the animal's essence'. That is a load of bull. No animal is tame, only habilitized. Even dogs, the longest domesticated animal, turn on their owners.

Do not be stupid. Think a bit, please

Here's a link to the Video, http://beta.mnet.co.za/carteblanche/Article.aspx?Id=4672&Showid=1 , Please watch this before you throw your toys out of the cot and rant on about the "tame" mamba, he never said it, now where are you lot getting these assumptions from? It also doesn't "free roam" the house, it's locked in a room. Carte Blanche came to him, they wanted to see his snakes, he showed them his snakes. They enter that premises at their own risk, they're aware of the consequences of entering that premises as it so nicely advertised all over his house. If you're going to use such logic it's pretty pointless even risking driving in a car with your family then.
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
ColinWa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby brentraf » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:36 pm

@ ColinWa

I know what you are saying but the fact is that even if Carte Blanche enter at their own risk it would make no difference as to how the media would react. Obviously the person bitten could not press legal charges against him(Neels) or anything but the fact is there would be nothing stopping legislation being passed making hots illegal to own. Also people would still point the finger at the owner, it's not him being held accountable that is at stake it's the entire South African herping community that keeps hots losing their snakes when they have done nothing wrong that is the issue. Like I said earlier no matter what people are told not to try at home someone still will which is also an issue if you get enough foolhardy copycats that get bitten there would have to be some kind of action taken in preventative measures.
1.1.0 Corn Snake (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)
1.0.0 Giant Ground Gecko (Chondrodactylus angulifer angulifer)
1.0.0 Dumerils Boa (Boa dumerili)
1.1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Eryx colubrinus loveridgei)
I love JKS forever.
brentraf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:43 pm

It's just an media stunt ,no conservation work gets done by seeing an free handled mamba, eish okies you come off as crazy.
People talk about it but they don't care about the next snake they meet. They just say darn I wish I had Neels here and then kill it :smt016 :smt016 :smt016
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herald_23 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:23 am

@ColinWa

'This is a very special snake.'

Well, generally every snake is, but can this one talk to you? If I tell it not to bite me, will it listen?
From what I've read about this guy he is very risky with his snakes and has been tagged numerous times
uhmm?...

Like I said 'A bit off topic' before I proceeded with my post. Maybe you missed it?
This is just another post about a risky handler that has specimens of alarming concern who gets some media, some network-reputation and BOOM! Suddenly everyone knows him and makes a quick comment here and there.

I want to ensure the hobby of reptile keeping (Herpetoculture) is made safe by 'removing' the exposed clowns who choose to ignore hooksticks...
...or choose not to read pre-post titles.

As far as I am concerned, you can keep whatever as long as it is kept under conditions that prevents the bodily harm to the keeper, snake or any public person.
The lion does not fear the jackal
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sfourie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:26 am

Serpent wrote: or Oom Niels had a heart attack,

That’s taking the “what ifs” too the extreme.

A lot of people have also brought up the what if he gets tagged scenario (of course he has already been tagged). Steve Irwin’s antics used to be discussed in the same manner. And yes he did eventually get killed but he left a lasting legacy of millions who opened up their minds to conservation of “controversial” animals. I am not saying Neels is Steve Irwin, but his legacy that of changing people’s perceptions to snakes can also be a lasting one. Maybe not to the bloke sitting in Pretoria but certainly those who have seen his work up close.

Is the risk not worth the reward? The only person whose life is at stake, Neels, believes it is.
A Shangaan legend states that any man resting or sleeping in the shade of a baobab will become eccentric and forever be enslaved by Africa and its wilderness, guess it's too late for me.
Sfourie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:58 am

A few good opinions in this topic are holding it together, just be careful when you quote someone else's post to respond with their rights to an opinion in mind, be it reasonable or not. If you feel you've been addressed unfairly by another member, report their post by clicking the triangle on the top right of their post and we'll deal with it. Basically if you're entering this debate expecting to change someone else's opinion, don't.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Serpent » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:31 am

Sfourie wrote:
Serpent wrote: or Oom Niels had a heart attack,

That’s taking the “what ifs” too the extreme.

A lot of people have also brought up the what if he gets tagged scenario (of course he has already been tagged). Steve Irwin’s antics used to be discussed in the same manner. And yes he did eventually get killed but he left a lasting legacy of millions who opened up their minds to conservation of “controversial” animals. I am not saying Neels is Steve Irwin, but his legacy that of changing people’s perceptions to snakes can also be a lasting one. Maybe not to the bloke sitting in Pretoria but certainly those who have seen his work up close.

Is the risk not worth the reward? The only person whose life is at stake, Neels, believes it is.

It may have been a little over the top I admit, but I was merely playing out scenarios or a risk assessment if you will, Neels is not exactly a spring chicken. Putting people into a room with a black mamba is asking for trouble, that's all I am saying, things can go horribly wrong, accidents happen, thats life. He needs to be more safety conscious in other words.

If he wants to live with a black mamba that's his own choice and another whole debate on its own. The rules however all change when there are other people involved.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sfourie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:02 pm

Serpent, I understand perfectly the point that you are trying to make, chances are it may happen. But if we go through life with “what if” at the fore of our minds then we might as well not live. The possibility to get tagged is real every time we go out to herp or clean enclosures but that will certainly not stop any of us from doing what we love.

What I have experienced is that “crazies” such as Steve Irwin, Austin Stevens etc get people to watch their shows by taking chances with their own lives, it draws people in. It may be the first step for some people to open their minds for the conservation of “controversial” wildlife such as snakes, scorpions, crocodiles etc. The more people learn about any one animal the more fear is replaced by admiration. That is what I believe anyways. Yes Neels is taking chances but if that means that even a mere 100 people have had changed perceptions the I believe the risk is worth taking. All over this forum there are frustrated members because of society’s ignorance, this bloke decided to do something drastic about and I support it.

As for the safety in of the camera crew, I seriously cannot comment as I did have the opportunity to watch the program.
A Shangaan legend states that any man resting or sleeping in the shade of a baobab will become eccentric and forever be enslaved by Africa and its wilderness, guess it's too late for me.
Sfourie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dispholidus » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:47 pm

Who ever thinks that this "Oom Neels" cowboy is sane must be insane. Whoever defends his actions even more so! :smt011

The fact that this cowboy is still alive to "tell the tale" and not tagged by his "tame pet"
is a miracle of nature in itself. And obviously Carte Blanche was sensationalising it without thinking of what message this may send to the general public, including children and aspirant herpers.
Snakes caring for me:

0.1 Boaedon capensis (Brown house snake)
1.0 Lycodonomorphus inornatus (Olive ground snake)
1.0 Pseudaspis cana (Mole snake)
1.1 Dispholidus typus (Boomslang)
0.1 Naja annulifera (Snouted cobra)
Dispholidus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dispholidus » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:53 pm

My bad. I see he was tagged twice already by his pet. Nuff said :smt004
Snakes caring for me:

0.1 Boaedon capensis (Brown house snake)
1.0 Lycodonomorphus inornatus (Olive ground snake)
1.0 Pseudaspis cana (Mole snake)
1.1 Dispholidus typus (Boomslang)
0.1 Naja annulifera (Snouted cobra)
Dispholidus
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Debate, Quiz and Competition Forum