Ophiophagus Cobras and other elapids

Snakes exotic to South Africa with venoms that are considered to be medically important.

View Gallery

Ophiophagus Cobras and other elapids

Postby candidpets » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:22 am

We all know king cobra prefers to eat other snakes more than others. THen the cape cobra also really prefers to eat snakes as well. Other than these 2 are there any others who really would choose to eat snakes rather than other prey the way the king does? and the cape seems to? Kraits not cobra seem to also. I have not heard of mambas doing this.

Was just curious the cape file i know who someone has is a voracious eater. Probably not as much as the king though. Next to the king are any other cobra such aggressive snake eaters? I wondered about forest cobra and egyptian cobra but found nothing much. Not much on indian cobra either.
candidpets
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Ophiophagus Cobras and other elapids

Postby Kakibos » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:38 pm

Snakes are predators and therefore other snakes is fair game, most snakes will eat other snakes, I have seen puffies, capies, snouties and if you do a search on this forum you can even see bushviper feeding his mamba boas. I would not say cape cobras prefers other snakes but if given the chance they will definitely eat snakes.
Kakibos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chopper 1 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:52 pm

Mambas eating other snakes must be a VERY rare thing - they are normally very fussy about their warm blooded prey.....
To fly is Heavenly but to hover is Divine
Chopper 1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:56 pm

Coral snakes (Aspidelaps) eat other snakes.
Harlequin snake (Homoroselaps) snakes eat other snakes, they used to be classed as elapids way back.
I know its not a elapid but skaapstekers (Psammophylax) chow other snakes as well they will even take venomous snakes
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:08 pm

I have pictures of a Black mamba eating boas and ball pythons. The same applies to snouted cobras, rinkhals and boomslang too. I will try to post them.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Exotic highly venomous snakes