Breeding Snakes

Here you will find information regarding care for your reptiles. These are member contributions.

Breeding Snakes

Postby dodge » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:28 pm

Good day all

I have a really dumb question.

Can you breed snakes from the same batch ? ie brother and sister ?

Thanks
dodge
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Breeding Snakes

Postby kinghero » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:47 pm

Would you breed with your sister? Ok just joking. I am not too sure, what I know is that in some animals if its first generation it’s still ok but with snakes I’m not sure. My rule is don’t do it or try not to. In the end you can’t ever be really sure and you could end up with some really poor animals.
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dodge » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:52 pm

LOL :) I tought so but was not sure.

I want try, I want to start breeding rattle snakes so the last thing I need is a deformed, inbred Rattler

thanks for the advice !
dodge
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kinghero » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:02 pm

Look dude like I said I’m not sure as I don’t even own a snake. My thing is just this: with exotics in SA the breeder you got snakes from might have already inbred and told you no he hasn’t so you think first generation and it’s not. Also he might have got his snakes from a few people and knowing he gets a brother and sister breeds them and then the babies together again. This could get really tangled. I’m not saying it is like that all I’m saying is it could happen but if you get different partners of different ages your chances of having this happen will be less. But your best bet is to speak to BV he knows everything, best of luck thou
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kev » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:17 pm

Line breeding in snakes if fairly common practice.
This is where most of your morphs get developed, and it does not have the same implications as line breeding other species.
I am not to clued up on the subject but I’m sure there are other people who can provide more info.
Kev
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:07 am

You can breed siblings to siblings and parents to parents as well as siblings to parents with no ill or harmful effects.
I read an article somewhere that interbreeding is needed to develop and establish a certain trait or Morph as it is called in the snake lingo.
The article also stated that in a case where the 5th generation were bred together there still were no deformities etc. , so yes, you can breed Brother to Sister etc safely.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dodge » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:59 pm

Thanks rolandslf
I appreciate the information !!!!
dodge
SA Reptiles Member

Postby croteseeker » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:27 pm

I agree with Roland. Sort of. Regular line-breeding is not generally bad in snakes.

While you cannot drastically narrow a gene pool without increased statistical odds of drastic mutations, it seems snakes tend to mutate in a way that is favorable to the hobby, such as color, pattern, or size abnormalities. However, the risk of any genetic mutation can be increased in this way. There is also going to be added risk of bone deformation, decreased function of one or more organs, infertility, etc. These, obviously, are unfavorable traits in the breeding industry, so to say you can safely do it, without some sort of disclaimer is probably not entirely accurate.

Assuming you have two healthy, defect-free snakes, your odds are in favor of something cool. I just think it should be mentioned that care should be exercised. By that, I mean inbreeding selectively. Most of the defective animals I've seen come from inbreeding existing morphs, animals which are already likely to be heavily inbred. I, personally, find the risk of creating an animal that I will have to euthanize unacceptable. Does that mean I think inbreeding in the pet trade shouldn't happen? Of course not. I just don't want to be personally responsible for the one that isn't healthy, no matter how unlikely. Unless you intend to make a new morph, inbreeding may not be for you. Or maybe the lessened risk of inbreeding wild-type animals should be a consideration. Either way, you'll have to decide for yourself whether the little bit of risk involved is too much or not.

You didn't post a dumb question, at all, Dodge. I applaud you for doing some inquiry before rushing headlong into something that you don't fully understand. I'm sure, with a little common sense, your project should go very well. If you do get some crote morphs, you just have to be sure and post lots of photos! :D
" a squat, scaly worm with, 'don't touch,' on one end and, 'that's why,' on the other."

-Thomas Palmer
croteseeker
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:12 am

Good question, that I'm sure that many herpers have...

Have a look at this video. Should answer your question...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzg1zic-zQU
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:57 am

Sorry for the double post, but found this as well, after some searching, and also makes everything quite clear...

http://www.vmsherp.com/LCInbreeding.htm
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dodge » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:15 am

Wow ! Thanks for all the info guys. Especilly
croteseeker and rolandslf. Def want to see if I could maybe breed a morph.
Think it would look amazing. Will do a lot more research and
Don't worry if I get it right I will def post pics !
dodge
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Care Sheets