Agama Pics

Accounts and photos of non-captive reptiles in their natural habitat in South Africa. Try to record with your account details such as time of day/night, temperature, weather conditions, lunar cycle, sex, rough age of reptile, and so on.

View Gallery

Agama Pics

Postby Sumanda » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:14 pm

Hi guys,

Took these pics last week in the afternoon of a beautiful agama. Have a look:

Even the tail is blue, he's still getting his colours. Last year just the bit over the hind legs were brown, the rest was a stunning blue.

PS: he owns two trees in our garden :D. The other trees have their own breeding pairs
Photography | Web Design | Writing
http://www.sumandamaritz.co.za/
Sumanda
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Agama Pics

Postby Sumanda » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:29 pm

I was looking for pics of an egg eater and came across this pic that I took in October last year.

IMG_8543.JPG

PS: Different tree :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sumanda
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gooey Toes » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:03 pm

Nice :)
Philippians 4:13 For I can do everything through Christ , who gives me strength.
Gooey Toes
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:45 pm

Stunning.

I wish I had them in my garden.

Do you ever feed them? I have a friend that had them in his garden and he fastened(with wire) a bowl about 2m up the tree trunk.He would put some mealworms in every now and then and the population literally exploded.They also got very tame and one big male would take mealworms from his hand if he held it there long enough.It also makes for great photo opportunities :)
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:33 am

They also love the brown mealworm beetles when they are still freshly moulted. The colony does grow bigger and bigger depending on available food so it is really up the person supplying food how much he wants to dedicate to the colony.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Sumanda » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:59 am

Ales wrote:Stunning.

I wish I had them in my garden.

Do you ever feed them? I have a friend that had them in his garden and he fastened(with wire) a bowl about 2m up the tree trunk.He would put some mealworms in every now and then and the population literally exploded.They also got very tame and one big male would take mealworms from his hand if he held it there long enough.It also makes for great photo opportunities :)

No, we've never fed them. Although the fact that we live in the bushveld, probably helps for a large population. :D They've been around for many years, but since our dog died almost two years ago, they've become a lot more casual about being seen. They love sunning themselves on the grass. We've got about 4 breeding pairs in our garden and a female living on our house. This male above is the only one that has staked out two trees as his territory, the rest are happy with just one tree each :)
Sumanda
SA Reptiles Member

Postby n-groundie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:25 pm

Like the Agama.
n-groundie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Trentonskeeper » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am

Some very pretty Agama's we saw in the Lower Sabie camp in Kruger Park on our last trip. :D

Trentonskeeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:45 pm

Those are really stunning.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby fredsmith » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:18 pm

When still in Pietermaritzburg, many years ago, we had a colony of these living in the garden. I recently spoke to the gent who bought the house from me when we moved up to Gauteng in the late 90's and he still has the colony living there and has also started putting out food for them. They're quite brave and will take mealworms right out of his fingers too.
Always amazes me how bearded dragons got to be so popular, whilst the agama's, especially those more north of South Africa can be so much more vividly coloured with bright reds and yellows and have oodles of personality. Bloukopmannetjies as we called them, are by far one of my favourite SA animals.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:05 am

Fantastic photography!
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Return to Indigenous reptile observation and identification