Puff adder paper out - thanks for all your help!

Accounts and photos of non-captive reptiles in their natural habitat in South Africa. Try to record with your account details such as time of day/night, temperature, weather conditions, lunar cycle, sex, rough age of reptile, and so on.

View Gallery

Puff adder paper out - thanks for all your help!

Postby Axel » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:05 pm

As some of you may remember myself and Wolfgang Wuster visited SA in 2009 and 2010 to collect samples for my PhD project on SA snakes. The first major paper to come out of the project has now being published, and can be accessed at the link below

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/Publi ... olEcol.pdf

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who provided samples for the project, and those who helped with our fieldwork, fed us, gave us a place to sleep and kept us entertained during those weeks. The work would not have been possible without your help.

Axel.
Axel
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Puff adder paper out - thanks for all your help!

Postby Bushviper » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:15 pm

Great work Axel and WW. I have always thought they are not the "same" all over the continent. I was not aware they differed so much locally.

Thanks for the link.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Axel » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:00 pm

There should be more to come on the rest of the distribution outside southern Africa too :)
Axel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby atropos » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Fantastic and groundbreaking stuff. Very interesting to read just how important the CFR has been and is.
Dedicated to the snakes of the Western Cape and to those that conserve them - www.capesnakeconservation.com
atropos
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous reptile observation and identification