Great start to the season so far..

Accounts and photos of non-captive reptiles in their natural habitat in South Africa. Try to record with your account details such as time of day/night, temperature, weather conditions, lunar cycle, sex, rough age of reptile, and so on.

View Gallery

Great start to the season so far..

Postby Jamster » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:45 pm

Monday brought the first callout for me this season. However the puff adder had moved off out of the garden before I arrived.

On tuesday this week I got call from an old age home called Somer Son. I went out only to find a small male puff adder in refuse quarters of the old age home. Shortly afterwards I got a call from The Grass Roof which is a farm stall and restaurant that actually has a lawn growing on the roof. I removed a large male puffy from underneath an ornamental tractor.

And finally yesterday I got a call from Pine Lodge saying that there was a big bunch of snakes at The Island which is a restaurant and bar. The first snakes that came to mind were green snakes (Philothamnus sp.) I managed to catch four big females in a large clump of bush that is right up against the deck. There were originally 6 or 7 of them. I thought there would have been one female and many males but this wasnt the case. All in all a good start:)

I brought the 2 male puff adders to university today where I tubed them and belly scale clippings were taken for research and released them shortly afterwards. So far the research has shown that puff adder genetics are far more diverse in the cape than in other parts of Africa.

IMG_2013091923503.jpg
IMG_2013091911768.jpg
IMG_20130919185.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Great start to the season so far..

Postby Blake » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:37 pm

Nice finds man. Really like the larger puffy.
Blake
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Great start to the season so far..

Postby Bushviper » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:44 pm

The season has really started with a bang. Keep posting pictures.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Indigenous reptile observation and identification