Field herping methods - how to find snakes

Accounts and photos of non-captive reptiles in their natural habitat in South Africa. Try to record with your account details such as time of day/night, temperature, weather conditions, lunar cycle, sex, rough age of reptile, and so on.

View Gallery

Field herping methods - how to find snakes

Postby SteveZi » Fri May 01, 2015 5:09 pm

With the season winding down I'm getting less call outs for snakes and feel the urge to go out field herping.
Apart from road cruising, what methods do you find most productive to find snakes in the field?
SteveZi
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Field herping methods - how to find snakes

Postby Durban Keeper » Sun May 03, 2015 7:24 am

I usually try searching for them :)
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby krah » Tue May 05, 2015 8:31 pm

Lol that never works for me! I will always be the only one in the group looking, and the last one to see something!
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."
Winston Churchill.

Pastel BP 0.1.0
Firefly BP 1.0.0
Spider BP 1.0.0
Normal BP 0.1.0
Pied BP 1.1.0
Axanthic het pied BP 0.1.0
Banana BP 1.0.0
Albino Corn 0.1.0
Beardies 1.1.0
krah
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed May 06, 2015 2:48 pm

Okay digging up snakes that are hibernating is not a good idea. They dont want to be out and about so leave them to rest in winter. Dont go flipping rocks etc as this disturbs them and they use up energy they need to last for the winter.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby SteveZi » Wed May 06, 2015 6:21 pm

Wow, three sterling responses, the last being my favourite.
I can't help but think that patronizing comments like these must be the reason why
member participation on this forum has shrunk to almost zero.
No one is going to 'dig up' snakes hibernating. a Lot of people herp successfully during winter with no ill effects to animals - threads with stunning photos on this forum are proof of that.
Humans are part- and participating members of nature.
Not all humans are idiots.
SteveZi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Wed May 06, 2015 10:51 pm

Steven, I think you took the above comments in the wrong light. I highly doubt that anyone was being sarcastic or condescending.

When I look for reptiles I head out on foot,, mornings or evenings and cover as much ground as possible, looking for movement or textural changes at the base of bushes. I do often lift rocks, but place them back in their original positions. No destructive crowbars or tools like that.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Durban Keeper » Fri May 08, 2015 1:45 am

No field herping in winter??? Arno has lost his mind! Don't flip mounds or pry animals out of deep cracks ect. Be responsible. Winter is the best time to field herp and its cooler which makes covering more ground that much easier to do. Steve I was joking with you bud. Sorry if by doing so I have contributed to the death of the forum! Hope you find some nice things and remember to take the time out to share them here.
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Fri May 08, 2015 3:40 pm

It all depends on what species you'd like to find?

A lot of people just head out aimlessly and just see what they can find hit-and-miss type. Although some target specific species and then you will work out what species will be where doing what and what are the chances of seeing them.

Dependent on the area's your in and what you want to see.

For instance the Berg Adders in the Western Cape are becoming active in early mornings and later afternoons on footpaths and are often seen as DOR on roads.
In KZN you'll see Philothmanus and the green snakes actively basking in mid mornings etc.

A little understanding and research into what species are in your area goes a long way. Having said this some people just go in blind...
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby SteveZi » Fri May 08, 2015 5:33 pm

Yes, I have to agree with doing some research on target species. The problem in our area is that we don't really have a lot of structure like rocks and stuff, we just have sand and fynbos shrubs - finding snakes in the thicket is all but impossible. There is a patch of(less than pristine) veld behind my house. I have strategically placed some old wooden boards here and there and will be checking up on them from time to time. I've had some success finding olive house snakes under them, but there is actually more olives around my house than in the veld... Certain species obviously dominates certain areas and the trick is to identify the right areas.
SteveZi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Thu May 14, 2015 1:44 pm

That's just it SteveZi.

Nice work on finding some so far!
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Return to Indigenous reptile observation and identification