Desert Reptiles of Swakopmund

Accounts and photos of non-captive reptiles in their natural habitat in South Africa. Try to record with your account details such as time of day/night, temperature, weather conditions, lunar cycle, sex, rough age of reptile, and so on.

View Gallery

Desert Reptiles of Swakopmund

Postby Warren Klein » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:15 am

Some of the Desert creatures we were lucky enough to see on a tour of the dunes in Swakopmund Namibia.

The spoor of something interesting just bellow the surface.
The FitzSimons burrowing skink Typhlacontias brevipes was first reptiles we came across on our desert tour and probably one of the and hardest to find. We were lucky to catch this little endemic in the morning while still cool from the previous night.

The Web-footed or Palmatogecko P. rangei. It was fascinating to watch just how quickly they are able to dig their little burrow in the dunes.

Although not a reptile the Dancing white lady or Cartwheel spider is an iconic character on the dunes. In some places we were finding spider holes every 3m on the side of the dunes
Theses spiders can be quite defensive when provoked and one even attacked my camera lens.
The famous Namaqua chameleon Chamaeleo namaquensis was one of the animals I was most looking forward to see

We were surprised to see just how exposed these chameleons are, just sitting out in the open.
The 2nd Namaqa chameleon we encounted was a female that we almost walked right passed without seeing.

The only species of snake we saw was the Namib sand snake Psammophis leightoni namibensis. I had really hoped to see a side winder adder Bitis peringueyi but any new species of snake was welcome.

I only managed to get a quick shot of this guy before running off. I think this is the Common Namib day gecko Rhoptropus afer but i'm not certain
This Reticulated desert lizard Meroles reticulatus resting on a seal bone was actually found in Walvisbay.

It was a wonderful trip and I can't wait to return to this beautiful county again. Next time with any luck I will find my side winding adder!
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Desert Reptiles of Swakopmund

Postby Superciliaris » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:33 pm

Thanks Warren ! The sand snake is beautiful.
Life is the greatest adventure imaginable.
Superciliaris
SA Reptiles Member

Postby reptile » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:45 pm

WOW!!! Thx for sharing
85% of all snakes are harmless!!!!
0:1 Super Hypo Leopard Gecko
God made everything... It's all to perfect for it to be able to just appear
reptile
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Great finds.

There are very few experiences I enjoy more than tracking critters in sand by following their tracks!
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Ruan Stander » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:08 am

A great selection of species you have there.

I find the structure of the feet and toes of that Rhoptropus very interesting. It is somewhere between that of agamids and geckos.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:49 pm

Thanks for the interest.

I agree the Rhoptropus Day gecko have unusual long legs and toes more like other lizards than that of a typical gecko.
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nick Evans » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:02 am

Wow! Awesome finds Warren! Would love to see one of those chameleons one day!
Nick Evans
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:20 am

Thanks Nick, they are awesome, just like little desert dinos!
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous reptile observation and identification