PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Postby Cyro » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:32 pm

Good day all
Please may I have any assistance on this situation...
I am part of a team in Ladysmith that catch and relocate all animals at peoples houses.
NOW Public Safety was told that there will be no call outs anymore and all snakes will be shot on site with
9mm snake shots :smt013 .
Is there any legislation or any legal documentation to state that no indigenous or protected species can be killed.

Thank you all in advanced
Kind Regards
Cyro
SA Reptiles Member

Re: PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Postby Bushviper » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:19 am

Give them a heads-up.
If the snake they kill is a protected species they can go to jail for up to 20 years.
The law is changing in KZN and then it will be illegal to "hunt" all snakes. That could put them away for 5 years.
If they discharge a firearm in a built up area they can be prosecuted for that too. If the snake in question is a house snake they cannot claim self defence because their lives are not in danger.
These actions are also not in line with any conservation model and they should be ashamed. I would write a letter to the head of the entire department and ask them that you want it in writing because when the charges are drawn up you will not be standing in the dock alone as they have given the orders.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Cyro » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:55 am

Hi thank you for the insight...
Is there any legal documentation that I can retrieve and print out before I go to them and try and explain
what I'm on about this situation.
Thank You all for your time
Kind Regards
Eugene
Cyro
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scalybunni » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:07 am

Who told Public Safety that there will be no more call outs? Or am I misunderstanding?

Who will be firing the shots?
The kiss originated when the first male reptile licked the first female reptile, implying in a subtle, complimentary way that she was as succulent as the small reptile he had for dinner the night before.
scalybunni
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mathandanyoka » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:59 pm

Cyro wrote:Good day all
Please may I have any assistance on this situation...
I am part of a team in Ladysmith that catch and relocate all animals at peoples houses.
NOW Public Safety was told that there will be no call outs anymore and all snakes will be shot on site with
9mm snake shots :smt013 .
Is there any legislation or any legal documentation to state that no indigenous or protected species can be killed.

Thank you all in advanced
Kind Regards

Hi Cyro
Unfortunately, not. The only two snake species protected in KZN are southern African python and gabby’s.
As Bushviper mentioned, the best way to tackle the situation is through education highlighting some of the consequences of their actions (referring to the self-defence and discharging a firearm).
Before you go in with guns blazing, armed with all the legislation in the world to bring them to justice, unfortunately you don’t have a leg to stand on. It would really be awesome if it was like that (I’d be the first to join you!) but the harsh reality of it all, it’s not.
I can email you links and government gazettes, if you’d like.
Mathandanyoka
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions