false water cobra as frist HOT!!!!!

South African snakes with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

false water cobra as frist HOT!!!!!

Postby x.treem.wolf » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:03 pm

Hi people I have recently thought of getting my first venomous snake. And was wondering if a false water cobra would make a good choice. I have kept snakes for a while now (±6-7years) and decided its time to take that next step
Have read on a lot of sites about there big size ect and that they can't really kill a full grown man. So out of personal view point what do you guys/girls think

Reptiles I have kept includes:
Ratsnakes
Kingsnakes
Cornsnake
Boas
Yellow anaconda
Ball python
Bosc/savanna monitor
Leopard gecko

So will it make a good beginning HOT or not and ±how much will a hatchling cost me

Thanks for advice in advance :D :D
x.treem.wolf
SA Reptiles Member

Re: false water cobra as frist HOT!!!!!

Postby Herald_23 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:54 pm

I always say that before taking the step of getting a 'hot', you should work with a very aggressive non-venomous snake as practice with regards to husbandry, hooking and what to expect.
However getting a venomous snake I reckon is also about a sense of readiness. A false water cobra is a good starter 'hot' because you'll be working with a snake you know can do a bit of damage and will have an attitude.
Although you've probably made up your mind on a falsie, but have you considered some of our local mildly venomous?

Falsies might not be venomous per se but there's always a chance your body might have an allergic reaction to the bite.
Good luck on your venture.
The lion does not fear the jackal
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tagged » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:22 am

I say it's a great starter hot. I have kept a few before and I rate them as one of my favourite snakes.
They are quite hetic but do tame down with some constant handling. As long as you can handle the food bill when they young :)

I agree with herald_23 as keeping a very aggessive non hot first, but I see you have/kept a yellow Anaconda.
I think that was a great practice snake for you before getting a "hot".

Hatchlings go for anything from R500-R900 each depending who is selling and where you are getting from. A reasonable price is +- R600 for a hatchling.
I know a few guys breeding them this year in jhb so keep an eye out, I'm sure there will be a few for sale soon.
Tagged
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:23 pm

I'm intrigued. The prospect of owning a Hydronastes gigas has been very interesting to me. What is their venom toxicity like? Is it comparable to one of our indigenous "Harmless Venomous" snakes or is it quite potent? In the Free State, as I understand it, venomous snakes require a Permit and a Handling course for something like 500 hours or something. Would this kind of snake be covered by those legalities or not?
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:27 pm

I'm not looking to go out and buy a venomous right off the bat. In fact, I'm not interested in HOTS at the moment, and if the FWC is potentially dangerous, then that is the last of that.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herald_23 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:42 am

I don't know about that 500 hours. I recommend doing the handling course and if you're still keen on getting a falsie, get it.
A false water cobra venom is not as dangerous as a copperhead or puffadder. I'd say slightly more potent than a herald. Their venom causes swelling and bruising.
I have not heard of someone being administered to the hospital after being bitten.
Just remember to watch out for anaphylaxis. You don't know how your body reacts to the venom/toxin until you receive a 'wet' bite.

Otherwise, falsies are great starters but not 'hots' per se. They are considered mildly venomous.
The lion does not fear the jackal
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby WW » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:08 pm

Drop-for-drop, the venom is about as lethal to mice as that of a western diamondback rattlesnake. Of course the FWC has vastly less venom available, and no tubular fangs to inject it with, so it is vastly less dangerous.

That said, there are a number of cases on record where FWC bites have caused very substantial swelling and bruising of an entire arm. However, most bites do not cause this severity of symptoms (I have been bitten twice by half-grown specimens without any symptoms whatsoever). There are undocumented rumours on the web of worse outcomes, and there is a rather odd published report claiming repeated episodes of short-lived paralysis in the hours following a bite. It is very difficult to figure out how this might have been caused by envenoming by this species, so I tend to ignore that risk. So, in a nutshell, definitely a species whose bites you want to avoid (so do treat it as a hot), but the chances of it ending up in ICU are pretty negligible. Think of it as night adder lite.

FWCs are generally easy to keep, low maintenance, but with a size and feeding response that will keep you on your toes. If you have experience of less-than-docile boids/pythons, then you will be fine with a FWC. If not, find a large and seriously p***ed-off mole snake to play with and see how you get on. FWCs will definitely make a good first hot, particularly if your eventual thoughts are towards the large, fast end of the venomous spectrum, e.g., cobras etc.
patience n. the vice of accepting the unacceptable, thereby encouraging further occurrences
WW
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous mildly venomous snakes