Western Hognose Breeders

Snakes exotic to South Africa with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

Western Hognose Breeders

Postby Fangfan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:09 pm

Hi Guys,

I've received the following email from CapeNature after inquiring about the black listing of the Western Hognose snake.
"Western hognose is currently black-listed in the Western Cape but you are welcome to submit an import application to be formally considered by CapeNature."

I would like to find out who breeds Hoggies, so that I could get the ball rolling.
Who knows, we might have the Western Hognose removed from the black list in the Cape.

Hold thumbs everyone!!
Fangfan
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Western Hognose Breeders

Postby shadowfoot » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:23 pm

Hope everything goes well. If they are eventually allowed in the WC more people can experience these awesome snakes.
Hope everything goes well.
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fangfan » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:28 am

Thanks Shadowfoot.
I'm hoping so. I'm sure a lot of people in the Western Cape would love to add a Hoggie to their collection.
Fangfan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:20 am

I imported them in 2007 with many other species and when I decided to import more they were black listed. I asked Cape Nature what do I do with the ones I have and they wanted to know how I got them.LOL So I told then they issued the import permit a few months ago.

So I decided to keep them and not part with them so just glad I have these little beauties even though I am not allowed to breed/sell or donate them anywhere.

Cape nature are asking for a risk assessment which will cost about R1000. I know someone who can do it so if your interested let me know and I will pass on the information.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby serpent68 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:41 am

i have just got a little hoggie and the are amazing snakes and cant see why they are black listed and hope that will change
serpent68
SA Reptiles Member

Postby helderbergsnakes » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:05 pm

I can confirm that Western Hognose are now allowed in the Western Cape under special conditions.

The special conditions being:

"The holder of this permit / recipient is cautioned, before exercising or using this permit, to take SPECIAL note of section 1 of the Biodiversity Act No. 10 of 2004, specifically the definition of "alien species" as well as paragraphs (b)(i) to (vi) of the definition of "restricted activity". The fore mentioned definitions must also be read with Chapter 5, specifically section 65, and Chapter 9, specifically sections 101(1)(a) and 102, of the same Act. Cape Nature may decide at a later stage to re-evaluate any of the species listed, which may call for a more precautionary approach. Cape Nature may call for holder of this permit / recipient to perform a risk assessment and / or to remove any of the species from the Western Cape Province, based on the evidence presented in the re-evaluation and / or risk assessment.

Here's a link to the Act: https://www.environment.gov.za/sites/de ... _act10.pdf

Hope this helps anyone looking at getting Western Hognose in the Cape. :)
"Our worth is judged by how we regard ourselves and our fellow creatures, and how we respect the beauty of all life on our planet." - Frank Lundburg: President of Reptile Conservation Resources, USA. 1990
helderbergsnakes
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:22 pm

Agreed! These are awesome snakes, I so forgot about this post. Very interesting species to keep but watch your fingers for the ones with an appetite of a Reticulated pyhon. Had a few people chopped on, that work at my park with a few. Shame even the girlfriend. Of which there was no harm unless you maybe allergic. Proper handling and you won't have issues with these easy captives.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby helderbergsnakes » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:02 pm

My baby girl I got from Bjorn. She's grown quite a bit since. Been quite fun getting her to convert to mice diet. The male I got is double her size now. Now that she is on mice she will defo start growing quite a bit :)

"Our worth is judged by how we regard ourselves and our fellow creatures, and how we respect the beauty of all life on our planet." - Frank Lundburg: President of Reptile Conservation Resources, USA. 1990
helderbergsnakes
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic mildly venomous snakes