Interesting Hognoses

Snakes exotic to South Africa with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

Interesting Hognoses

Postby Gustav » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:14 pm

Had some time on my hands and thought I would take some photos and share some interesting things with you all.
The back story of the light female and her brother(I suspect he is but don't really know) is I bought them just over 2 years ago. I bought a bunch of them and resold the rest and kept the pair because the female was lighter then the rest and the male had a nice banded pattern.

Over the first year the female got lighter and lighter. She started to get a green hue as well. The male also started to get a green hue. I thought nothing of it.
She might breed this year and that might shed some light on whats going on.

With a normal for comparison

Now the greenish male was bred to a large normal female and she gave me just 8 eggs. They hatched and shed and looked like for the most part normals. After another round of sheds 2 males started to look a bit different as well. So I'm keeping one of them back and waiting to breed him and figure out whats laying in his genetics.

Light reddish boy with a normal clutchmate

Let me know what you think
Look for GVZ exotics on FB and join our page
Gustav
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Interesting Hognoses

Postby ColinWa » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:23 pm

It's funny, the one B bought from you a while ago is getting lighter the older she is getting, the spots seem to get much darker though. A lot like the one in the first picture, awesome snakes though. She does seem slightly possessed, and reckons she's a cobra everytime I walk past the cage!
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
ColinWa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:30 pm

Its quite possible that you are onto something. Even if they are just line bred for a red or green colour that would still be great.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Gustav » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:50 pm

I was thinking the male was just a green phase and expected some normal greenish hatchlings, but got normals and a few light reddish ones. I'm gonna repeat the pairing this year and see what comes out and also pair him with the light green female. Can't wait to see what pops out there.
Gustav
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gustav » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:46 am

So instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would just update this one. The 2013 breeding season with the Hognoses didn't go all that well. After my big normal female slugged out with both of her clutches, I thought at least my Green female gave me 20 nice eggs from her two clutches. But after a break in at my place and the idiots messing with everything, even my incubator, I lost half of the eggs. So left with 10 good eggs this is what I got.

Hatchlings

The Greenest hatchling and also my only holdback

And mom still bright and green as always

I would have liked to see more dramatic hatchlings as I hoped mom was genetic. Granted it's not all over and done for. Mom started out very similar to the holdback boy and only started to develop her colors after about a year. So holding thumbs for that or that it is maybe a recessive trait.

Only time will tell....
Gustav
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rabid.Evo8691 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:37 pm

You are definitely on to something. Whether it is genetic or polygenetic only you can prove that out. I also had a similar experience late last year with a robbery and lost 12 leopard gecko eggs. 2014 will be a better year. Good luck with your project.
Follow our progress on our facebook page (Rabid Evolution reptiles)
Rabid.Evo8691
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Snakeguy5 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:00 am

Rabid.Evo8691 wrote:You are definitely on to something. Whether it is genetic or polygenetic only you can prove that out.

Definitely. Even if it is only something that can be line bred you can work with it and eventually get some amazing looking snakes.
Good luck!
http://nwserpents.weebly.com/
https://www.facebook.com/nwserpents
Snakeguy5
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gustav » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:25 pm

My hunch was correct, but boy did I underestimate just how big the transformation was going to be after just second shed.

Sorry for the cellphone picture, but it gets the idea across. She still has some shed stuck on her head and neck. That gives you more or less an idea of how dramatic the change was. So two lucky people got pairs from me this year that should turn out just as nice, if not better.

Lucky for me I held on to two pairs for future breeding. So now I need to figure out if it is a linebred trait or a separate gene
Gustav
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic mildly venomous snakes