Is my cape cobra sick?

South African snakes with venoms that are considered to be medically important.

View Gallery

Is my cape cobra sick?

Postby Yolanda » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:47 am

Hi I have recently got a capecobra my firend caught it when he went hiking, but this was a while ago it has had one home before me and I've had this cape cobra for about 3 months now he seemed to be doing great but latly he hasn't been looking to well he ate on the 8th of march 2 hopper rats and 1 hopper rat on the 16 march tired feeding him again today because he didn't eat 2 on the 16 but he didn't eat it, also from his anus down to the tip of his tail his skin folds, but also on other parts of his body his skin folds at first I though was dehydration issue but I've put him to swim but doesn't seem to make it better, he's not very active anymore and he goes skinny then fat. And some times he lies on the side of his head?? Please help I am very worried about him!! Does anyone know what this is, I have 2 other cobras and they are doing great please help
Yolanda
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Is my cape cobra sick?

Postby SteveZi » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:03 am

Please forgive me if I'm coming to the wrong conclusion (and you can prove me wrong), but I don't feel that you have the experience to keep these snakes in captivity.
If they are wild caught(as you say they are), it would be best for you to release them.
SteveZi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scalybunni » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:16 am

I agree. Wild caught snakes sometimes do not do well in captivity. Is he still alive?
The kiss originated when the first male reptile licked the first female reptile, implying in a subtle, complimentary way that she was as succulent as the small reptile he had for dinner the night before.
scalybunni
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LanceJeffery » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:34 pm

This snake is probably riddled with worms. I would suggest treating with panacur and flagyl however from the sounds of things you havent had too much experience with hots and this can be a very dangerous procedure if done the wrong way. My suggestion is to find a local breeder who has a lot of experience and see if he is willing to help you treat the snake. Following the de worming treatment it would probably be a good idea to follow it up with a small tube feeding with some electrolytes added into the blended mixture. Good luck!
LanceJeffery
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous highly venomous snakes