Lack of Iguana knowledge in South Africa

Re: Lack of Iguana knowledge in South Africa

Postby Tony Earl » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:15 am

as a matter of interest:

how many people here have kept iguanas?
how many people have bred iguanas?
and,
how many people have seen and iguana attack a menstruating lady?
Keep it Real!
Tony Earl
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleons » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:39 am

We kept an iguana in Malaysia before we moved to South Africa - it was easy as it was in an open air enclosure. We left it there as we were told that keeping iguanas in SA was illegal - rubbish, we subsequently found. We have since kept a pair for the past 7 years, in a specially built room 4m by 2m with under floor heating. They have bred for the last four years and we have had regular success at hatching the eggs.

When people come to the house to buy young iguanas we make a point of showing them the adults - the male is about 1.5m long - so that they do not think that the cute little green lizard will stay little for long. We have always been pleased to find that the people who come to us have invariably done their homework and spent time on the Internet etc. researching care and conditions.

The iguanas are my wife's (I 'do' the chameleons) and she interacts with both the male and female at all times of the year, without ever any problems, even when the male is orange and bursting with hormones. I have read of the problem with menstruating women but have never seen any signs of it. Having said, that the male doesn't like me........
David
http://www.sa-chameleons.com
See photos of Malaysian insects on my Facebook page: Exotic Insects
Breeding Insects as feeder food by David Haggett now available from Amazon
Exotic Chameleons in South Africa, care and breeding by David Haggett also available from Amazon
Chameleons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:20 pm

How about the book "Iguana's for dummies"?
When my Aunt first got her iguana a few years back she also noticed the lack of information and conflicting standpoints out there, but this book pointed her in the right direction.
http://books.google.co.za/books?id=IYTi ... na+dummies
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:10 pm

I think a large number of iguanas are kept by locals. When imports were banned it was estimated that between 800 and 1000 were smuggled in each year. That seems to have stopped because we have enough breeding locally. The number of locals that regularly breed iguanas would possibly be counted on the fingers of both hands.

I have seen male iguanas behave oddly towards certain women but there is no way in hell that I am going to ask her exactly where she is in her menstrual cycle.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby cornishrex_rules » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:11 pm

I have not kept Igies but love looking at their pics. Just want to add that I cannot view your pics. Can you not post them here in the forum?

I am a bearded dragon person, got to adopt a now 5 year old female.
cornishrex_rules
SA Reptiles Member

Postby HOUSE OF DRAGONS » Thu May 28, 2009 2:45 pm

HEY THERE
YOU ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO COME AND HAVE A LOOK AT MY IGGIES ROOM
THEY HAVE A NORTH FACE ROOM ALL TO THEMSELVES AND I HAVE MASSIVE CORNER UNITS THAT ARE BASED ON kombuis WALK IN PANTRY CUPBOARDS. THEY WERE PRICY BUT PRICELESS TO HAVE THE SPACE FOR MY BIG GIRLS
MY MALE IS FREEROMING AND MASSIVE AND SO TAMED
I STARTED LAST YEAR TO HAVE SLEEPING BASKETS WITH A HEAT PAD FOR ALL OF THEM(8) TO SLEEP IN AT NIGHT. ITS ON A TIMER SO IT DOESN'T OVERHEAT. THEY ALL WARM IN THE MORNING AND GO FOR A "POTTY" BATH BEFORE THEY GO TO THE SUN.
I WOULD LIKE TO ATTACH A PIC OF THEM IN THE BASKET BUT DON'T KNOW HOW TO , ANY HELP WITH THAT ONE.
WHY I STARTED THE BASKETS WAS TO SAVE ENERGY. AT NIGHT THE 250W REDS ALL 8 OF THEM BURN NEARLY ALL NIGHT, BUT NOW I HAVE 8 X 25W HEATPADS AND WHAT A SAVING AND THEY LOVE THEIR BASKETS.

I WISH I COULD SHOW YOU
HOUSE OF DRAGONS
SA Reptiles Member

Postby HOUSE OF DRAGONS » Thu May 28, 2009 4:29 pm

HEY THERE :smt006
I STARTED LAST YEAR TO PLACE MY IGS IN HEATED BASKETS TO SLEEP AT NIGHT
SAVING ENERGY FROM 8X 250W RED LIGHT BURNING ALL NIGHT TO 8 X 25W HEATED BASKET ON A TIMER DURING THE NIGHT. THEY JUST LOVE THE NIGHT BEDS
[img][/ihttp://www.sareptiles.co.za/gallery/albums/userpics/16991/igs_in_mandjies.JPGm[img][/img]g]EACH ONE IS TAGGED SO THEY SLEEP IN THEIR OWN BASKETS AT NIGHT.
WHEN I GET IN THEIR ROOM IN THE MORNING, THIS IS THE SIGHT, 8 IGGIES LOOKING AS IF THEY ARE ON THE BEACH.
THEY ARE NICE AND WARM, READY FOR THE MORNINGS "POTTY" BATH BEFORE THEY OFF TO DIRECT SUNLIGHT :D
HOUSE OF DRAGONS
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu May 28, 2009 5:59 pm

House of dragons please turn off your capslock when you post. Most people find it irritating and as such usually just skip over these posts. That defeats the object of actually posting.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby boaboy » Thu May 28, 2009 10:05 pm

1.1 Dwarf Reticulated Python
1.1 Green Tree Python
1.1 Jaguar Carpet Pythons
1.1 Bredli Carpet Pythons
0.1 Jungle Jaguar Carpet Python
0.0.1 Bosc Monitor
0.2 Mexican Red Knee (For Sale)

For something to happen, something must be done!!
boaboy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby HOUSE OF DRAGONS » Fri May 29, 2009 5:55 pm

Tx BB for opening the pic!
sorry for posting with caplock on, will do in future!!
Have came across interesting statement yesterday. One of my males is going to a butterfly farm were there is 2 ladies waiting for him. The butterfly owner told me that the male butterflies will sit on the noses of the igs and slups the salty discharge from the igs nostrils, the b/flies needs the sodium for their hormonal balance . He said one can take amazing pic of this huge b/flies sitting on the faces of the igs. would love to take one of those.
HOUSE OF DRAGONS
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri May 29, 2009 6:56 pm

Wow if you get a picture of that please post it here.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby HOUSE OF DRAGONS » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:18 pm

hi bushviper
i saw you mention previously that you saw males reaction to women. my VERY orange hormal male did the weirdest thing yesterday. i stood next to him( he was on a table in the sun)not looking at him, the next moment he bit my jersey not wanting to let go at all, got the glazy eye look, and i had to remove my jersey. he bundle it all up and was trying to mate it!!! maybe he needs a love-doll?? :smt017
HOUSE OF DRAGONS
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:53 pm

Hi House of Dragons.

I am not going to get personal about menstrual cycles but I would not go near the Iguana in 4 weeks time either. They do get confused and if you have been near a female he would also try the mating bite and copulation. This is recorded in many places and is the biggest reason for sterilising male iguanas. Be careful because if he gets hold of your skin he can really hurt you. Have a look on a number of the US and UK websites where these incidents are documented.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby HOUSE OF DRAGONS » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:56 pm

hi BV
thanx for warning! it just confirms the motto of igs that they get fimiliar BUT never tamed! I take him on face value every day, watch his body language and act accordinally!
please give advice on the next couple of images, my last batch of igs hatched Sat 14/02 and last one on the next friday, but its eye shape is like i have not had before, first time ever. I call him Chana, eats well,sheds good but totally confused when being handled. please don't say chop!! I will keep it and handle with love if it can't see, but it must see a little??

:smt009
HOUSE OF DRAGONS
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:33 am

He can see. This is simple to deduce because both he and the round eyed one are looking at the light source. It would have died if there was no chance. His (I actually think her) colour and muscle tone is fine so just hang onto it.

Bushviper
Founder Member

PreviousNext

Return to Green iguanas (Iguana iguana)