Taming new 6 month old wild iguana

Re: Taming new 6 month old wild iguana

Postby fredsmith » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:17 am

Another very good book is "Iguanas for Dummies" by Melissa Kaplan, which most good book stores will be able to source quite easily. Alternatively give www.amazon.com a try.
For a treat... They love yellow hibiscus flowers.
Persistance is ultimately the key to getting your iguana tame.

Good luck, this thread is turning into quite an interseting read, with some really good pointers for those new to iguana's.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:35 am

I suggest the Hatfield book first, I didnt find Melissa Kaplans book as good. Of course it is a bit cheaper though.

That Hatfield book is a fascinating read, I had 2 copies, one I loaned to a customer who just never brought it back, the other got ruined in a flooding I had.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marlize » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:31 am

Thanks Fred & Rob (lol don’t know much about flowers but will definitely learn more about them fast will search for sum this weekend along with both books (I thing having 2 different books can be a good thing and if something differs i just ask for opinions here on SA reptiles) :-D

I bathed Diesel again last night after the club, must say I’m very proud of my baby :smt007 – i thing he’s doing gr8. And myself as well because i now handle him with more confidence than before and i ditched the gloves (man must admit that was hard for me) but I’m very glad i did because it took away my fear of the biting. Don’t think i would have been able to do it without everybody’s help (personally i think it’s not wrong to use gloves it all depends on the reason why you wear them though, i only used them because i thought it will protect me against the bite but it actually prevented me from getting over my fear :oops: )

The bath went well, he really enjoys the water, so this don’t seem to be a problem for him, is it too early to take it a step further and if not what would you guys suggest i try next?? :smt017

Detail about his bath – i hold him in my one hand when i put him into the bath and use my other hand to through water over him. I would slowly open my hand I’m holding him with till i have no grip on him but i use my thumb to scratch his head :D
Marlize
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:04 pm

Taming a "Wild" reptile takes time... a long time sometimes.
Firstly you need to build up trust. Iguana's are intelligent creatures but that said it's not an overnight process and can take months or even years for them to realise you're not a threat.
By the sounds of it though, it sounds like you're well on your way.
Persistance and patience...
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby forest » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:23 pm

I ordered my book through kalahari.net and I see they have a special on it for only R206!
http://www.kalahari.net/page_templates/ ... Shop=books
It is an American book, so I dont think you will find it at CNA etc.

The other book recommended, Iguanas for Dummies does not have half of the stuff that you need to know. Secondly, I know of several people that used Mellisa Kaplan's techniques to 'control' a male in breeding season and they ended up at hospital with serious bite wounds. For that reason I always look past her site and book plus she does not even own an iguana. Dont get me wrong, there are several good stuff, but I prefer 100% good.

Flowers that my ig loves:

Nasturtium - (Kappertjies) - They grow extremely fast and flower within 2+ weeks! They dont need rich soil or a lot of water and out of one packet of seed that cost R8 to R10 you get over 50 plants. Both leafs and flower are edible.
Hibiscus - all colours + the leafs. You have to buy a tree for this one.
Geraniums - both flower and leafs. A plant will set you back about R50 and you can keep it in a basket.
Petunias - only flower and a plant is also about R50.00.
Pansies, impatiens and violas - you can buy them in trays for about R15 and they grow beautifully.
Hollyhocks - they eat both flower and leaf. I planted the seed so I will only have plants late summer.
Rose petals - mine loves the white ones
Carnations - mine does not like at all.

Other cheap plants that you can buy and that my ig loves:

lavender
sage
mint
oregano
fennel
rosemary
thyme

But really do yourself a favour and buy a packet of mustard seed, it is called Florida Broadleaf - Mustard. It grows incredible fast, it is one of the most nutritious leafs you can offer your ig and the best is, the more leafs you cut the faster and bigger it grows. One packet of seed will last you right through summer and winter. (Same with turnip)

To give you some ideas, here are some photos of what my ig's dish looks like every morning:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Him eating turnip straight from the garden.

Hope you got some ideas. :D

You ask what you can do next? First tell me what are you currently doing except bathing?
I am too emotional about animals. Please forgive me for thinking with my heart.

Linky
forest
SA Reptiles Member

Postby forest » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:38 pm

By planting your own seeds you will save thousands on food, you will always have it fresh, know it isnt treated chemically and your ig will be one of the healthiest around. My expense on iguana food a month is less than R10 and that is for veggies that aren't even really needed. A wild iguana eats over 200 different plants, so to keep a captive one super healthy, we have to give them a huge variety of food with at least 2 of the staples included. I know Diesel only eats a little bit now, but believe me, in no time it will be double and then triple and then even triple that. ;)

Why make other people rich if you can do it yourself? :D

Linky
forest
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marlize » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:57 pm

Thanks Fred and Forest ;)

I have Lavender, mint and roses growing in my garden already and I can ask my mom for some of her Kappertjies, Will have to get some turnip seeds because my iggi loves them and the rest that you have mentioned. :-D

That dish looks Beautiful. :cool:

When it comes to beetroot – do they eat the beetroot and or the leaves?? :smt017

(Don’t know all the flowers you mentioned but looks like me and mom have to go shop this weekend haha (she would know) ;-)

Thanks for the link. Well all I’m doing at this moment is bathing him, hold him for a wile and get into his cage with him and scratch him without picking him up.
:smt006
Marlize
SA Reptiles Member

Postby forest » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:01 pm

When you go and buy plants - PLEASE make 100% sure that they did not treat it with chemicals. No beetroot.

How long do you hold him and where do you sit with him? Have you walked around the house and allowed him to 'clime' the walls, taste things etc?

Linky
forest
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marlize » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:02 pm

I like the way you think Forest

I’d have to plant everything in pots then because I might decide to move end of the year

About the book – because it’s from America, there would be quite a few thing different here isn’t it like food and temperature for example ??
Marlize
SA Reptiles Member

Postby forest » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:05 pm

No it isnt different because we keep our iguanas in a controlled environment.

Linky
forest
SA Reptiles Member

Postby forest » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:08 pm

Planting in pots is 100%. When you have seedlings of mustard and turnip you can put the pot straight in his cage, he will DEVOUR it! :D That is what I do in winter.

Linky
forest
SA Reptiles Member

Postby forest » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:32 pm

forest wrote:No it isnt different because we keep our iguanas in a controlled environment.
Sorry, I could have given you a better answer than that. :roll:

Iguanas come from South America and we have to do our best to replicate their natural environment. The book explains exactly to the point and beyond of how to accomplish it. Does not matter where in the world you keep your iguana - the controlled environment stays exactly the same.

Here is the chapters:
http://www.iguana.com/insidebook.shtml
http://www.iguana.com/iguanacontents.pdf
Testimonials:
http://www.iguana.com/testimonials11.shtml
http://www.iguana.com/testimonials4.shtml

This book is the largest, most comprehensive, up-to-date, accurate, scientifically documented, helpful, fun, easy-to-read iguana pet care book ever published. It's the ULTIMATE!

Linky
forest
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marlize » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:50 pm

Thanks forest, I really appreciate your help. I’m taking diesel to someone on Sunday to have that tail checked out. The person was recommended by one of my friends, apparently he’s awesome with exotic reptiles of all sorts especially with the taming part.

Dose the book have like “a menu” if I can put it like that?! Because I want to know more about their diets like how much 2 give and how regularly,

At the moment diesel eats little but well, (Should I mix his food or add it in different bundles?) I offer him a full plate of mixed foods every day even if he eats only a 1/4 of it.
Marlize
SA Reptiles Member

Postby forest » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:56 pm

If you click on the links you will see exactly what is inside the book. Mixing the food is good and you are doing right by giving more than what he wants to eat.

You must soak the greens in water in the morning before you cut it in small blocks with a scissor. Iguanas become dehydrated very fast and they get most of their water through the leafs. Remember to cut it as small as possible so that he can get in more and digest it better. You have to grate the veggies.

Linky
forest
SA Reptiles Member

Postby forest » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:59 pm

Here is a site with a comprehensive food list:
http://www.iguanaden.org/diet/calphosveg.htm

Linky
forest
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Green iguanas (Iguana iguana)