Taming new 6 month old wild iguana

Re: Taming new 6 month old wild iguana

Postby Marlize » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:02 pm

Thanks a lot Forest I really appreciate this reply (will definitely get me the book) I thought about marking the tail but didn’t because I feared that the ink may do some sort of harm by going into the skin or something?

The cloves- actually hoped they would help if he/she decided to bite (they are relatively thick)
Like I say scratches and tail whipping I can handle it’s just that teeth that scares me ha-ha :-)
T
hanks again
Marlize
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marlize » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:02 pm

Thanks a lot Forest I really appreciate this reply (will definitely get me the book) I thought about marking the tail but didn’t because I feared that the ink may do some sort of harm by going into the skin or something?

The cloves- actually hoped they would help if he/she decided to bite (they are relatively thick)
Like I say scratches and tail whipping I can handle it’s just that teeth that scares me ha-ha

Thanks again :-)
Marlize
SA Reptiles Member

Postby forest » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:05 pm

Ditch the gloves, I promise, your baby really cant do much harm yet. One day when Diesel can do harm he will be like clay in your hands already.
I am too emotional about animals. Please forgive me for thinking with my heart.

Linky
forest
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:27 pm

I agree, use a towel if you need.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marlize » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:34 pm

Thanks guys I will try it 2 night should I give him a bath while I’m at it? What temperature should the water be? Bath tub or sink?

Wish me luck because for some reason I think the first time is going to be scary for me, much more than it would be for diesel
Marlize
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:42 pm

If you want to bath him just put enough hot water in to take the chill off, it need not be warm, just not cold. (obviously the ambient temperature plays a part too, if its snowing outside add a touch more hot water :))
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marlize » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:45 pm

Ha ha thanks Rob I stay in PTA dont thing it would snow 2night haha
Marlize
SA Reptiles Member

Postby forest » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:58 pm

You must test the water the same as what you test a baby bottle, use the bottom of your wrist to test it. You must remember that they are cold blooded, if the water is too hot or too cold it will damage them, I dont want to go into that detail now.;) It must be warm enough so you can stick your face in without burning.

He will hate it, he will want to run, he will wiggle, you must just stay calm. Lower him into the bath very-very slowly and scoop a little bit of water over him so that he can see it is actually nice. My ig still hates bathing, he only showers. Keep your hand and arm facing towards you and let Diesel rest on it, it will give him security in the water. If he tries to get out, then you must put him back, unfortunately.

Some igs love bathing, hopefully Diesel will be one of them. :D

Linky
forest
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marlize » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:17 pm

So I shouldn’t hold him in my hand with a grip? I must put him in a low water level bathtub and then put my arm in so he could get on my arm by himself?? (Sorry if I’m being stupid just trying to get it absolutely right)

I also hope he likes it, think he will because he loves it when I spray him with a water bottle (his reaction is falling asleep ha-ha)
Marlize
SA Reptiles Member

Postby forest » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:25 pm

Hold him with both your hands, one under his tail area and the other supporting his front legs and head. Lower him in the bath and keep your one arm there, use the hand that were supporting the tail to scoop water over him. If you just put him and take your arms away he will get scared.

No problem about all the questions, I LOVE igs and want everything perfect just like you.;)

Linky
forest
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marlize » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:30 pm

Thanks forest but don’t forget he’s still very wild how can I get him in the water without having a nice hold or him jumping and running all over the place? :smt017
Marlize
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marlize » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:33 pm

I thing the biggest problem I have At this stage is being so scared of doing something wrong that I’m almost to scared to do anything :smt010
Marlize
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marlize » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:09 pm

I would just like 2 thank every body for the replies, I’m so exited I can hardly sleep. :D

Today was awesome!!!! I concurred my fear! And better yet Diesel loved the bath, he/she enjoyed it so much at times I had to check if diesel was still alive LOL because he/she was so relaxed in the water it felt and look like a dead body in my hand but every time I lifted him/her out of the water He/she would start a slight struggle but the water I pored over him/her with my other hand calmed Diesel right back down again :smt016

Though picking Diesel up at the start took a little time and patience but it surely paid off No biting not even a tail wiping!!! That was awesome. But still had the puffed up cheeks and the scary look :roll:

So far so good and so far every day gets a lot better (touch wood)

Have a good night every body :smt006
Marlize
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:31 pm

Congrats, Im sure he/she will be kitten tame in no time.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marlize » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:48 am

Thanks Wolf it seems like it.
Marlize
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Green iguanas (Iguana iguana)