Where are they coming from?

Aligators, caimen, crocodiles, terrapins, tortoises and turtles exotic to South Africa.

Where are they coming from?

Postby F1refly » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:30 am

Has anyone noticed how many Red Eared Sliders are around? Before you never saw any ads for them, now you check on gumtree and they are being advertised almost every five or six pages. Is someone Importing them? I've even heard that petshops are selling them now.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Where are they coming from?

Postby poobsta » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:08 pm

The reason for the sudden explosion is that they where previously illegal to sell. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
There is no such thing as I can't
poobsta
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:02 pm

There was a recent lot that got sold at Dragonfire, I guess the okes imported them cause they were sold next to Snapping turtles.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:09 pm

Wait, does that mean it is no longer illegal to sell or keep them? I know Dragonfire sold some a while back but was just wondering why now.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:56 pm

The provincial authorities have lost the plot in KZN and instead of looking for reasonable legislative changes they are trying to ban everything. This is irresponsible and they have dropped the conservation ball long ago and have picked up the animal rights ball which does not bode well for the country. In the mean time red eared sliders and other chelonians which have the potential to become invasive have been imported legally into KZN and are being sold within the province. Since then they have been smuggled over provincial borders and are now freely available.

In all the other provinces the possession of these sliders is illegal and fines can be rather stiff along with the loss of the animals.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby croteseeker » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:05 pm

BV is absolutely correct on the invasive issue. Sliders of any kind are not native to AZ. But you wouldn't know it, to walk along our waterways. They're just one more species for inexperienced keepers to grow tired of and release into the wild. I'm sorry to hear that you guys will be dealing with that. You don't have American bullfrogs yet, do you?
" a squat, scaly worm with, 'don't touch,' on one end and, 'that's why,' on the other."

-Thomas Palmer
croteseeker
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:41 pm

Luckily no American bullfrogs or any other invasive amphibians.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Exotic chelonians and crocodilians