White Lipped Tree Viper

White Lipped Tree Viper

Postby RohandoCT » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:21 am

Howzit guys and girls.....
Just wanted to know if anyone knew were i could possibly find a white lipped tree viper?Preferably a young one.
Also some advice on a first time venomous owner?iv had corns and boa's and dragons but never a venomous snake like that before.Any tips?Thannks guys... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
RohandoCT
SA Reptiles Member

Re: White Lipped Tree Viper

Postby Weylin » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:34 am

Don't get bitten!!!! Can be real tricky to get them to feed on pinks in beginning, their natural food source is frogs, lizzards. So if you do get one make sure its feeding on what you can supply the snake before getting it unless you know what you doing because they very fussy eaters not for the novice types. Amazing snakes but be careful as they are super fast and accurate as they get older (their fangs are very large in comparison to their body size to so it going to hurt like hell when bitten). They prefer lots of humidity and warmth, tropical conditions.
Hoped I helped you out.
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?
Weylin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RohandoCT » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:40 am

Thanks man will be sure to watch out really not keen on gettiing bitten.Seen what a bite looks like.Now all i need is to find a darn snake.Seems to me like they are hard to come by?or is it just this time of year?
RohandoCT
SA Reptiles Member

Postby cvanvollenstee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:01 am

I have seen 2 of them in animalkingdom. I think it was R450 or R500 per white lip.

Awesome little creates. One day when I am big....
1. Green Iguana Male called Sarel See Monster
cvanvollenstee
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Weylin » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:04 am

There are a few around not many, range around R500-R1000 normally cheaper when people don't have permits for them... however mainly going around JHB area not Cape Town really.
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?
Weylin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Scwaal » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:15 am

Hi RohandoCT

I got one as my first hot and I must say they really are amazing snakes. But like Weylin says they are extremely quick, and very at home on a hook stick so be extra careful when handling them. 2 hook sticks are always advisable. Also mine don't seem to drink from a water dish, so you have to mist the enclosure often so they can drink water droplets off the leaves and their body. Just make sure you read up as much info as you can and don't underestimate these little guys, a bite can be serious. And as Weylin says make sure you see them feeding on what ever prey items you have available, you definitely don't want to have to try an force feed. Unfortunately I don't know anyone in Cape Town who might have but best of luck!
1.2.0 Boa constrictor constrictor
0.0.1 Lampropelitis getula nigrita
1.0.0 Lampropelitis triangulum campbelli
1.1.0 Elaphe obsoleta rossalleni
1.1.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Cryptelytrops albolabris
1.0.0 Antarresia maculosa
1.1.0 Python molurus bivittatus
1.0.0 Brachypelma albopilosum
0.0.1 Lasiodora parahybana
0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans
0.0.1 Pandinus imperator
Scwaal
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RohandoCT » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:17 am

Cant seem to find any on animalkingdom?anyone know of were or anyone know of someone who breeds them that is on the forum and i can pm them?
RohandoCT
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am

They're awesome looking animals.
Super fast and accurately so, as stated. A bite, although not usually life threatening, is from all accounts very painful.
One does see them crop up quite often here in Joeys, not sure about down your side of the country though.
Don't forget to post some pics once you get it...
With regards to their fangs... check out viewtopic.php?f=82&t=15390&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RohandoCT » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:35 am

does anyone on this forum breed with them?Maybe i can arrange with someone who does to ship it to me here in the father city??
RohandoCT
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Crash » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:48 am

Howzit Rohando

My female is pregnant at the moment, Next week i will be taking her for a sonar just to get the more or less dates etc, But she should drop in spring if you still wanna wait? PM ME IF YOU ARE KEEN.

regards
Crash
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Whitelipped tree vipers (Cryptelytrops albolabris)