whitelip tree viper breeding help

whitelip tree viper breeding help

Postby moe » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:11 pm

Hi everyone

Hoping some one can guide me so i recently got a adult pair of whitelips feeding well on mice & rats

Since i got the pair the female has shed beautifully and th e male looks like his about to shed aswell.I then got another female adult about a week ago who is also in superb condition

1) can anyone give some advice on how to go abput breeding them? As the male dsnt seem interested in either of the females

2)what are ideal conditions for breeding them?

3) should i slow down feeding?

Thanks a million in.advance
Moe
moe
SA Reptiles Member

Re: whitelip tree viper breeding help

Postby Ruan Stander » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:16 pm

My interest is not really the Asian arboreal vipers and thus I don't know much about them.
However some general guidelines can be followed.

I don't know much about their climate either, but my common sense will tell me that they don't experience great temperature variation, rather seasonal rainfall, and not by a huge margin either. More frequent misting, greater abundance of food and timing should do it. This is the right time of the year.

It is advisable for many reasons not to house animals together, which sounds like the case.

Feeding every two to three weeks is more than enough, and not huge meals either. During winter months up to six weeks is no problem, as long as they are adequately hydrated.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby moe » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:07 pm

Thanks predetor

The reason i have them together is when i got them i read in a few places that they enjoy having another whitelip with them (my other snakes are apart) i have now split them apart and iintroduced the male to the other female to see if they do lock

Temp & humidity wise i got them at around 30 ambiant temp and 50-70% humidity i mist them all everyday and feed once a week or when i see they have defecated there previous meal (which is about once a week or 10 days)
moe
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:02 am

They are probably over fed, hence your male's lack of interest.
I would cut back on feeding to a gracious minimum of every two weeks, and drop the ambient by 2-4 degrees Celsius, providing a warm spot of 30-32 degrees.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby moe » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:20 am

100 % im going to try that as its the first time im breeding

Thanks a million for the awesome insight
insight much appreciated

Hold tumbs as my female copper head is gravid so hopefully the female whitelips also suprise me
moe
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Urucone » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:49 am

I would keep them separate, males tend to look more intimidated by the females, females feeding response are aggressive so they tend to grab males when keeping them in a small enclosure together, Females are aggressive so keeping two females I won't recommend and keeping a male with two females is a big no, no, invest in an extra male, You'll thank me in a years time, It's always a good idea to have a spare male white lip around

Basic enclosure needs are a semi humid enclosure with little ventilation, a lot of people over kill on humidity, just a slight mist in the morning and afternoon on the heat pad and the humidity should be fine. Our south African temperature drops during winter and pick up during summer so you get a automatic cooling period sponsored by mother nature.

Males usually start being interested in females around March, April, May before winter and males also tend to go of feeding during this time, males also loose a lot of body weight when going off feeding so I usually feed them every chance I get, I haven't come across one white lip that's so obese that the JOB can't be done, white lips can breed from a very young age, so there is no specific weight nor age.

In general they are easy to keep, easy to breed.
as long as you keep quiet, no one will notice that your dumb
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Whitelipped tree vipers (Cryptelytrops albolabris)